Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Extension cord + chicken water heater= no ice.

The heaters for the waterers supposedly only operate when temps drop below freezing. No lights, risk of fire is almost non-existent.

We have been getting eggs all through winter…. I have been hearing things about feed potentially causing hens to completely stop laying, outside of the normal winter slow down….

Extension cord + chicken water heater= no ice.

The heaters for the waterers supposedly only operate when temps drop below freezing. No lights, risk of fire is almost non-existent.

We have been getting eggs all through winter…. I have been hearing things about feed potentially causing hens to completely stop laying, outside of the normal winter slow down….
What water heaters do you use? Mine still gets ice in it. I have been getting about 1 egg a week from the same chicken all the rest stopped laying, in switching mine to all flock instead of layer because ill be getting some ducks in the spring. I dont know if its the feed causing it but my chickens will barely eat any feed.

What water heaters do you use? Mine still gets ice in it. I have been getting about 1 egg a week from the same chicken all the rest stopped laying, in switching mine to all flock instead of layer because ill be getting some ducks in the spring. I dont know if its the feed causing it but my chickens will barely eat any feed.
I have been using a homemade cookie tin heater for years, and works to down below 0 deg. but last week got this on CL:
Farm Inovators Electric water Heater Base
And use a 5 gal galvanized waterer on it.

even a change of feed can throw the hens off of laying.
when your galvanized waterer starts getting pin holes,
keep a tube of J B Weld handy. Notice I said when, not if .
one winter I had fourteen buff orpington hens. it was early
january and below zero and i had 100 % egg laying one day.
unheated coop..

are the chickens older? Older than year old, second winter? I have some hens they are going towards 2 years old they have gone to the molt and stop laying for winter stage. I expect increase egg production in spring, longer days and warmer.

are the chickens older? Older than year old, second winter? I have some hens they are going towards 2 years old they have gone to the molt and stop laying for winter stage. I expect increase egg production in spring, longer days and warmer.
They are almost a year old. I usally see a increase in March

It was nice enough today i only had to fill the waterer up once and break a thin layer of ice at 3. Warmer temps are always welcome here!

It was nice enough today i only had to fill the waterer up once and break a thin layer of ice at 3. Warmer temps are always welcome here!
New chickens sure would think you would get eggs. I am by far no chicken expert. I have been using agrimaster since I got chickens and do not have any problems with it. Occasionally I switch depends on sales.

I like that feeder from premiere.

My ports came today and I think the roosters will have problems.

Back
Top Bottom