Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

good AM ,

the turkey in the hatcher looks ready to take up to meet his siblings in the CTV..

getting pullet eggs every day, now..

Dr H,.. it is nice to have a diversified neighborhood, eh ?
I sometimes wonder if my neighbors consider me the oddball..

doesn't your neighbor know that his SS# is "out there" anyhow ?
Might just as well get a job.. LOL

I wonder who he stuck for the harp ?

DD2 is coming to sit with Gramma, I am going to the restaurant for coffee this AM>

Then I have to go to F&F and restock my shelves with WD40 and Blast.... Tip for today: did you know that WD40 is great for washing grease off your hands ? did you know that regular oil is good for that also ??

...........jiminwisc...........

Good Fish Fry Friday Morning All....Susie just use lawn and garden lime (calcium carbonate) it won't hurt the flock at all and is actually good for them. It's simply crushed limestone, and the calcium is needed to produce hard shells... I wouldn't use barn lime or quick lime, in my opinion.

Gardens are really coming into harvest now. I have about 2 bushels of tomatoes that will be canned for stewed. The onions are pulled and drying in the pole barn, and we have bushels of apples for pies and sauce. The carrots can grow for a month yet. The more mature they get, the bigger and sweeter they get. Looks like some squash will make it all the way through. Still cutting plenty of broccoli too.

Nice pics everyone....always fun to see them.

My coop and nests are clean. I almost never need to clean any eggs either. I do keep them in the fridge though
wink.png

Gonna be a nice day....enjoy!

Man you all are a chatty bunch - gone for a week and there's over 100 pages to catch up on! YEESH!

I lost a bunch of chicks this week. Peepers and three of the ones I got to keep peepers company. Still have the bigger frizzle and a smaller frizzle and the two peafowl chicks (which I think one is a boy and one is a girl). The kids were out messing around in the coop and I didn't know it (thought they were on the swing set) and I come out to the chicks on the floor and the cat eating them. Ugh ugh ugh! I was not a happy momma that is for sure!

My peafowl chicks - one is a tad smaller than the other and the legs are two different thicknesses. I am thinking I have a male and female. One can only hope right??? Not sure at all what the pied older one is - nothing to compare it to.

Well - this house is in disarray and needs to be cleaned something horrible - and then it is time to do some laundry.

Dornes thats aweful
hugs.gif
I am so sorry. I do now have 6 Easter Egger/Ameraucana chicks for you that I can get to you within the next couple of weeks. Also three cochin bantams if you want them too. The EEs are (3 chocolate ones and 3 striped like chipmunk ones) the cochins appear to be black at this time.

BCC the golden necks are beautiful. !!!!!

BBR the cochins are a bit tempermental for laying. When they lay its great, when not you cant do anything to start em up.

Last edited:
Good afternoon one and all!

DH made it home safely but woke up at 2:00 this am, which woke me up. We were up an hour and went back to bed, of course during that time I had coffee, and couldn't go back to sleep so at 4:00 I crept out of bed. Just got up from an hour nap after a busy morning mulching my new flower beds and transplants. Lucked into a very part time job (only a few hours a week, but @ 12.00 an hour...so...) weeding flower beds for a small landscape designer. May get a few more hours here and there helping him on various projects, as he's presently restoring an oriental serenity garden. Right up my alley, now if I could just get paid for weeding my own beds!

Lots of information since my last visit. Jim, sounds like a very efficient way to butcher and save space in the freezer, almost makes me wish we were going to butcher!

OMG Tiki that picture is absolutely adorable! What a wonderful shot!

CC (and those who answered about the berries/tree), I just saw a thing on Wisconsin Gardener about buckthornes (and CC if they don't have thornes then they must be something else)... invasive to the nth degree.... the guy said that once cut down one way to make sure they die is to take a dispenser (like a dish soap bottle) and apply a little Roundup around the very outer edge of the stump (on top) which is the only "living" part of the tree (the center lighter colored stuff is actually dead wood), that will prevent them from throwing up suckers. Of course I hate herbicides and the like and refuse to use anything I know Monsanto manufactures, so that wouldn't help me one bit! But thought I'd offer it up for those doing battle with them. TO, they must not be edible, you're right, if they were useful we'd never be able to keep them alive!
lau.gif

BBC, beautiful birds!! Wow!

Dornes, so sorry for the losses! How terrible!

Tiki, how cute! Reminds me of Jimmy Durante ( for those old enough to remember him! LOL)

WEll DH just got up... have a great afternoon all!
DEb

Hey everyone
frow.gif

CC good luck on those prickly trees....

Bigz does sound like a good day for a fish fry.........

jim yeah trying to downsize for winter
lol.png
.... I am doing great on that too..
lol.png
not!!

dk
lau.gif
on the trees if they were useful. ......... I am with you on the Monsanto........
old.gif

Wow dk that sounds like a nice parttime job. Now if it could only turn into Hmmmm....35 hrs a week . I just can hardly wait to see your garden when it is done. I bet it will look be beautiful
big_smile.png
I like to mulch and compost but a little more haphazard than you I think. Raised beds are awesome. I work on getting mine there a little each year.
tongue.png

I didnt take the photo, the seller did. I am up for any name suggestions on him.
wink.png
So Jimmy? I remember him. I was thinking maybe Snuffalapagus (Snuffy). Maybe Have to wait to meet him.
big_smile.png
Thinking I am liking the sound of Jimmy hmmmm.

Last edited:
The thorns aren't always that noticeable they kinda look like very small branches. I'm not even sure if both male and female trees have them.... guess I'll have to read up on them!
tongue.png
The berries cause diarrhea. That's how the seeds spread so fast, the birds sh!t them out as fast as they eat them!

Back
Top Bottom