Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote:
lol.png
tongue.png

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
O MY!!!!!

My goats loved buckthorn and since I didn't milk I let them eat a ton of it. I have a ridiculous amount of honeysuckle here too. I need more goats. Maybe a couple of bottle babies in the spring.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
O MY!!!!!

My goats loved buckthorn and since I didn't milk I let them eat a ton of it. I have a ridiculous amount of honeysuckle here too. I need more goats. Maybe a couple of bottle babies in the spring.

Goats love buckthorn? Oh, TO............
lol.png

I've been researching the heck outta buckthorn, & some have thorns (23) but some don't (9) . Mine do not. Some are invasive, while some are native. Can we say confusing, class?
The invasive "common" buckthorn has thorns, while the invasive "glossy" buckthorn does not. But, the glossy type has toothless edged leaves w/ 8-9 pair of leaf veins, which mine also does not have. And they say the berry ripens from a red-brown to a dark purple, which mine also do not do. They go from green right to purple/black. So I am back to square one at knowing what these things are.
he.gif

There is supposed to be a type of dogwood that gets mistaken for buckthorns also, but I think their leaves turn red in the fall.
barnie.gif

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/woody/buckthorn/id.html

Thank you to everyone who has offered their advice or insight. Your help is very much appreciated.
hugs.gif

I am so upset right now! I put my chicks outside today with their cage top on the grass. I went outside to shake a rug out and noticed my adult chickens and ducks all crowded around something. It was my only little dutch bantam chick and they were killing it! The call ducks were even in on it. It is still alive but has a pretty ugly head wound. Apparently he crawled under the cage where there was a small gap between that and the ground. I ran my incubator for weeks with just that one bantam egg in it. I really hope he pulls through. I have him separated with a heat lamp over him.

Afternoon All...yep you are right on CC about the buckthorn...Called my daughter who is a forestry major at point in her last semister. Was gonna share the news, but you are just to fast.... We also have the glossy type here. some varietys have crossed and become hybreds too. If you have acreage, one can call the DNR for a free walk through the property. They can give you pointers about your timber, or invasive species you might not be aware of.

Don't forget about the big Game tonight....GO PACK!

Oh TO!! I have to share something for you...
http://janesville.craigslist.org/pet/2562641867.html
Tortoise Enclosure (Delavan, WI)
Date: 2011-08-23, 8:01PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Very large sold wood tortoise enclosure with bottom and drawn-bridge opening. Must see. Please contact me.

Well KristiP came and got two chickens, her chicken math is doing good!!
lol.png

The ducks and MOST of the other silkies are going to a lady in Whitewater, I am hoping she will join BYC when I tell her HOW wonderful you all are and the website too!!
One silkie has gone broody.. REALLY!!! yes... and this may be my last chance to get silkies before next year...
So she will wait till we see what "pops"
Still only two chicks in with the dual broodies, they pushed four eggs out of the shared nest so I chucked them.

Anyone want two ameracauna's who don't lay colored eggs?
one isn't at POL yet and the other just started about a month ago or so.

Carol

Back
Top Bottom