Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Quote:
"Grumpy old men" things??????? Tsk, tsk, DrH.
lau.gif

BFFs are awesome, aren't they? You must tell him I owe him a beer someday. Always nice to have a happy DrHaHa in our fold!
big_smile.png

Mmmmmmm, H&R, turnips!!!!! Yummy! You can use them any way you use potatoes, actually. You can make scalloped turnips like you do spuds. They hold up all winter long in the frig, so I use tons of them in the winter in soups. They are sooooo tasty. Kinda a mild cabbage-ish taste to them. I also like them raw, just peeled & sliced.

thanks, I am making a few and trying them steamed, we'll see what the out come is
big_smile.png

steamed with butter is pretty good for turnips. Lucky you got pumpkins this year. I see one or two in my patch and they are entirely orange already so guess they wont make it to halloween. chicken snacks instead.

Hi everyone! I have missed you all! I was keeping up for awhile, but fell behind. I just thought I would check in and say Hi!
frow.gif

Oh and I wanted everyone to know that I'm DONE!!!
wee.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
celebrate.gif

No more homework, not more tests or finals, no more school!!!!!
tongue.gif
I am so happy!! I will finally have my life back. I finished in under two years, on a two year program. Yaaayyy me!
So you will all see me on here again. I'm glad to see everyone is doing well. Well off to catch up on my reading. Later Taters!!

So..... long weekend. Harvested some more tomaters from the garden - made up some spaghetti sauce this time. Got some corn for supper every night this weekend too. We butched apart our huge huge huge lilac bush so that it can replenish itself. Come to find out there was some sort of "weed of the trees" growing in amongst the lilacs - no wonder why all of them didn't get flowers on them this spring. Darn weed trees anyways!

Hubby made hay all weekend and filled the silos. I am so glad school starts this week for the kids - I am ready to kick them all to the curb with a suitcase each.

H&R - when do you think you will get back the dna results to see what you have for the peafowl?

I asked a question over on the peafowl section of the forum - apparently it isn't frequented too much. Do any of you peafowl owners know much about them "crowing"? The one I have that is about the same age as the one H&R has seems to "crow" every morning. Like BLE-BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (kind of reminds me of a baby elephant...) Do both genders do that or only males (like chickens)?

Well, long weekend - time to hit the pillows. Night all.

H&R, Hurley OR anyone who has hatched out a cuckoo maran chick OR a cuckoo mix...
Have you noticed a white spot on their heads? Just trying to figure out if that is normal for the breed.
Or if I am looking at a cross bred baby...
I have one that hatched out and is blue.. SO cute but has a white spot on its head.
Thanks tons
Carol

Another Beautiful Morning Everyone! Dornes hang in there for a couple of more days then kick them to the curb with lunch boxes. Nothing beats the smell of fresh cut hay!
ya.gif
Bec is back Bec is back! We've missed you
hugs.gif
Jim like I always tell the BFF when he questions if something will fit through a space. Just drive fast it'll go. BBP it's just a hunch but think maybe those geese might be spoiled. CC it was just some silly comments on sunburned toes. I've burned the tops of my feet a couple of times in the boat, learned to at least wear socks. Got my first brown egg in over 2 months yesterday!
celebrate.gif
Think the wyandottes went into a sympathy moult with the reds. Got a ton of things crossed off the list but then added a few more
roll.png
Was gonna wait a couple more days to mow but it looks like wet weather is on the way. Think today I'll eat the weeds hopefully for the last time
fl.gif
then mow. Hope you all have a great day!

good A<M>
DrH, with my bad eyes, I have trouble just driving down the open road. LOL

I sunburned my toes a little at the steam show.. they weren't bad, tho.. I have been wearing sandles all summer, so my feet are tanned with white stripes..

where do you send DNA samples ? I never heard of that . how much does it cost ??

those chicks with the white spots on their heads,, could that be a way to tell cocks from pullets ? I had a lot of white guineas with a black spot on their heads.. but I didn't follow through with banding them and watching for the results..

Dornes, I have not had peacocks long enough to know anything about them.. Mine is about 1 1/2 years old.. he makes an occasional one sylable whoot sound .. but only once did he make a three sylable sound .. started out like a low goose grunt and then went into a two note song.. I haven't heard it enough to describe it or even mentally recall how it sounded.. from what I have heard from people, the hens are noisy too.. I wouldn't consider what I heard, "noisy"..

Annie and I had a long talk last night.. we decided that this chicken and large garden is just too much to take care of ,along with the responsibility of having two dependent adults in the house.

we are not going to give up altogether, just cut waaay back on numbers and size ..

Rob is coming next week to get "some" royal palm turkeys. I have a feeling he is going home with more than he thinks he is coming for. LOL He and his bro and mom are just starting a hobby farm.. very vulnerable to chicken math.. LOL

I am going to be working on chicken coops and new roosts today.. I am going to even hose down the inside of them..

Then I am going to spread shavings real thick, even if I have to break down and buy some.. did I just say "buy" ?? quick,, somebody take my temperature !!

I think I will go up and make some pancakes..

later,,, ...........jiminwisc.........

Hey everyone! I also try to keep up but am running out of hours in my day!

Congrats Beckychicks! I know how that feels! Altho I go back in Jan
duc.gif

H&R) I've never had turnips but I heard you can roast them, and they are good in soups! Maybe kinda like kohlrabi? If you don't like them, chicken food?
big_smile.png

Well we went and saw another house. It sucked. Well, ok, it didn't suck. But its an estate and they are renting to to two different tenants (a duplex we'd make into a single family) but the tenants I guess don't want to leave. So they lock themselves in the house for showings, and never clean up the house. So, we got into one unit, the smaller of the two. It looked ok, but without getting to see the other unit (realtor said they weren't answering and they had the dog running around and she heard he wasn't friendly) I am not sure what our options are for combining them. The one unit had a nice-ish kitchen, a living room, a weird room and 4 tiiiiny bedrooms upstairs. DH said we could turn the whole upstairs into a master bedroom/bath.

I am not sure, I spent so much time looking where I was stepping that I didn't pay much attention to the house. It looks structurally good. I don't know. On 10 acres, a good 2 acres is swampy. Got a barn, pole barn, garage (that we would tear down) another outbuilding that doesn't look safe. I'm indifferent about it. Would lower our mortgage a whole lot.

The last 3 tomato pickings I've pulled out over 20 POUNDS of maters from the garden. whoa boy. And all my tomato plants have leaf spot or something so they look terrible. Oh well.

Canned some pasta sauce. 5 pints. Will probably get 20ish pints when it's all said and done for the season.

My coffee pot is broke so i've been hillbillying it with a 5 cupper. Have to brew that puppy like 3 times to get the normal pot of coffee. Oh well.

I also didnt realize that hens make such terrible noises. like this "reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" croaking/weird noise. They are all laying eggs tho, so It would be weird if someone crowed.

Back
Top Bottom