Wisteria, Expecting Mamma. Hatch-A-Long

The Coop-D-etat

And to you good madame, I ruffle mine Feathers 🐓
Feb 6, 2021
Bismarck, North Dakota
@MGG
@HKG
20210923_210026.jpg

So guys, here I am with 9 six month old chickens. And this young girl right here a Lavender Orpington Wisteria has gone broody. And to my extreme persistence has refused to break from her broodiness. I have tried everything, she just WON'T quit. So I gave up and slipped four eggs under her. The sire is a pure Barnevelder Rooster named Paka. Under her are eggs from One of my Barnies(Ina), one from my speckled sussex(Cedar), one from my black Australorp(Blanch), and one from my OTHER Australorp(Amanita).

I wasn't really looking to hatch or get babies this late in the season. Due date is supposed to be Oct. 16th. And if any are interested I'll be posting updates. I have a wedding to go to this weekend and my neighbor is watching my dogs and chickens. But come Monday I'll be setting up a brooding pen under the nest boxes for her and the babies if they hatch and I don't see why they wouldn't. Not sure to try and move her to a new nest now or wait until they hatch and move her into the broody pen with the babies.

I take her out st lest twice a day to Eat, Drink, poop, and a quick dist bath. She is very persistent. I will be taking all sorts of measures to be sure things go good for her and the babies. I just didn't know what else to do cause she would not give up. So why not let's hatch some Barnyard Babies in the Broody Brothel. (coop name):idunno

P.S....Send wishful thinking, I'm making the wedding cake for this wedding I'm attending 😬😬😬
Ry.

Beautiful cake! Wow!

Now I can't wait to see the chicks!
Thank you so much! I'm so excited! First time mom is VERY dedicated to her eggs. She'll even reach her head around the divder to the other nesting boxes and try and snatch other eggs. Although she can't reach she won't get off the nest unless I take her off to eat, drink, poop, and a quick dust bath to stretch her wings 😅
Gorgeous cake! I hope you have a good time at the wedding, and be safe!

You could mark her 4 eggs with a pencil, just in case one of the other hens adds one or two to the clutch in your absence. By marking them it would be easier to identify the "intruders".

Good luck with your hatch and let us see the results!
Thank you! It was a disaster putting the cake together, but it all worked out! The wedding was an amazing ceremony. Except one of the grooms cousins had a seizure during the exchange of vows 😬 needless to say she's fine now and that was the only hiccup 😅😅

I did mark the eggs actually! I know one of my barnevelders (Ina) likes to comedere the nest as soon as Wisteria gets off to stretch to lay her egg 😅😅

Thank you! I indeed will post updates kinda nervous being a first time grandchicken letting a hen hatch them out. What place better than here for help and guidance 🤣

Snapchat-1198979254.jpg

ITS EARLY! I had two that have already hatched! Sadly I lost one already, it fell out of the nest box and I think the others pecked it. So now I'm sitting in the coop to make sure everyone else is OK while o set up the cage. I know I should have already had it set up but work has blindsided me. But my roommate is getting a large dog jennled wired up with hardware cloth so I can move them into it and have it in the coop! Exciting!

@MGG
@HKG
View attachment 2844718
So guys, here I am with 9 six month old chickens. And this young girl right here a Lavender Orpington Wisteria has gone broody. And to my extreme persistence has refused to break from her broodiness. I have tried everything, she just WON'T quit. So I gave up and slipped four eggs under her. The sire is a pure Barnevelder Rooster named Paka. Under her are eggs from One of my Barnies(Ina), one from my speckled sussex(Cedar), one from my black Australorp(Blanch), and one from my OTHER Australorp(Amanita).

I wasn't really looking to hatch or get babies this late in the season. Due date is supposed to be Oct. 16th. And if any are interested I'll be posting updates. I have a wedding to go to this weekend and my neighbor is watching my dogs and chickens. But come Monday I'll be setting up a brooding pen under the nest boxes for her and the babies if they hatch and I don't see why they wouldn't. Not sure to try and move her to a new nest now or wait until they hatch and move her into the broody pen with the babies.

I take her out st lest twice a day to Eat, Drink, poop, and a quick dist bath. She is very persistent. I will be taking all sorts of measures to be sure things go good for her and the babies. I just didn't know what else to do cause she would not give up. So why not let's hatch some Barnyard Babies in the Broody Brothel. (coop name):idunno

P.S....Send wishful thinking, I'm making the wedding cake for this wedding I'm attending 😬😬😬
Ry.
Hahaha! Good luck!!!! They're gonna be so cute.
You'll have to post pics of the cake!!! 😍

Gorgeous cake! I hope you have a good time at the wedding, and be safe!

You could mark her 4 eggs with a pencil, just in case one of the other hens adds one or two to the clutch in your absence. By marking them it would be easier to identify the "intruders".

Good luck with your hatch and let us see the results!

Back
Top Bottom