WK #3

Pics
Need a photo update! 😍
I'm sad to say those 4 all passed away. They wouldn't eat (we tried all kinds of stuff and nutridrench) and had curly toes. I don't know what was wrong with those poor little guys, but they were so sweet while they were with us. I traded chicken hatching eggs for 7 lavender keets from a local farm right about the time that my hatchlings died and those 7 are thriving. They are also very sweet, but are eating, flying, coasting around in a cool little group kind of like my ducks, and doing all of the things I wish the first group had been able to do.

These aren't the greatest pictures, but this is the day one of the hens let them and their 4 chicken buddies out of their brooder.
20200814_143414 (1).jpg

This is them in the brooder checking me out.
20200802_201246.jpg
20200802_201432.jpg

20200802_201447.jpg

I am hearing some halfway grownup noises coming from them lately. Lots of fun! 😍 Thanks for asking about them.

I'm glad you weren't hurt in that storm. We get some crazy wind in the midwest, but that took it to new levels.

I'm sad to say those 4 all passed away. They wouldn't eat (we tried all kinds of stuff and nutridrench) and had curly toes. I don't know what was wrong with those poor little guys, but they were so sweet while they were with us. I traded chicken hatching eggs for 7 lavender keets from a local farm right about the time that my hatchlings died and those 7 are thriving. They are also very sweet, but are eating, flying, coasting around in a cool little group kind of like my ducks, and doing all of the things I wish the first group had been able to do.

These aren't the greatest pictures, but this is the day one of the hens let them and their 4 chicken buddies out of their brooder.
View attachment 2297107

View attachment 2297108View attachment 2297117
View attachment 2297115

I am hearing some halfway grownup noises coming from them lately. Lots of fun! 😍 Thanks for asking about them.

I'm glad you weren't hurt in that storm. We get some crazy wind in the midwest, but that took it to new levels.
Aw, I'm sorry abt th first 2, but glad you're enjoying the new crew!

View attachment 2297107

View attachment 2297108View attachment 2297117
View attachment 2297115

So sorry to hear about the loss of your first set of keets! :hitYour current crop is really lovely though! :love

Neat contrast between the two! Can’t wait to see what they look like as they feather out!
I'm exercising my brain now. I'm assuming eggs were grabbed from 2 nests, as both were his mates. Oddly enough, neither of mine are pied.
If I'm reading this right, the male has 2 BD genes, hens have only one. So offspring -hens will be BD, males will be whatever is dominant. Remember I said tan one is saying "thank you" and PG is saying Squee.
Reading through Peeps info (I take it she outgrew the forum-she has gorgeous birds).If you have a BD and a blue variant (does that include lav?) - you cld end up w/ opaline or porcelain. So how do you end up w/brown or ccinnamon?

I'm exercising my brain now. I'm assuming eggs were grabbed from 2 nests, as both were his mates. Oddly enough, neither of mine are pied.
If I'm reading this right, the male has 2 BD genes, hens have only one. So offspring -hens will be BD, males will be whatever is dominant. Remember I said tan one is saying "thank you" and PG is saying Squee.
Reading through Peeps info (I take it she outgrew the forum-she has gorgeous birds).If you have a BD and a blue variant (does that include lav?) - you cld end up w/ opaline or porcelain. So how do you end up w/brown or ccinnamon?
Brown is supposedly two buff genes with one copy of the DSV gene and at least one full dotting gene.

Brown is supposedly two buff genes with one copy of the DSV gene and at least one full dotting gene.
So that wld mean the hen would have had 1 buff gene regardless of her appearance-I can see that being the case, bc his 1st cock is
was his pride and joy so chances are-. I misunderstood what she was saying-I thought it said they had to be pearless, but actually it says the lower the degree of pearling, the darker the shade, right? So if the gray female who is semi-pearled/pied has the buff gene, I get the brown. But if it had been the lavender hen, I would have had opaline/porcelain? So how do you get the cinnamon, or is it the same? And why -not sure if it was Peeps or one of the other ladies-I think it was Peeps, bc she talked about the brown skin on their necks - have cinnamons w/red eyes?

Back
Top Bottom