wolf spiders!

Aww come on all you wusses! The spiders eat all the OTHER gross bugs. I let them live in my house.
In my bird room, I have a problem with the moths living in the seed mix. The spiders are allowed webs in the corners to eat the moths. I relocate the ones that come too close to me, but never squash them. If it's too nasty looking, it goes outside.
They really are good bugs, even though some even give me the heebie-jeebies!

Quote:
That is how I personally handle spiders in my house, except for recluse and widow, both are free to live outside, but not in my house and I won't risk a bite to relocate so they are squished. That being said I don't think I would tolerate an "infestation" of any spider (or insect) in my house either. Small helpful numbers are one thing.

Quote:
These are very beneficial spiders. I'm sorry they are in your house, it's probably because it's getting cold. But, if it were me, and I really don't like spiders much, either, so I'd probably have my husband do the job, but, I would relocate the spiders to a better place, like my garden or barn.
These spiders eat all sorts of bad insects. We used to get them in our house in CO from time to time but even my parents, who were very ecologically friendly, would just kill the spider, they would never, ever spray the house.

Quote:
That is how I personally handle spiders in my house, except for recluse and widow, both are free to live outside, but not in my house and I won't risk a bite to relocate so they are squished. That being said I don't think I would tolerate an "infestation" of any spider (or insect) in my house either. Small helpful numbers are one thing.

I leave most of the spiders alone, and even relocate them outside when the get too big and creepy. Those wolf spiders however, do bite and their venom is nasty, like a bee sting. Having a nest on a deck handrail is just asking for trouble. When I saw a hundred or so babies, that was the too much. And yes, ultimately they are really good bugs. I convinced my son that the spider living above his headboard wasn't looking to eat him. It finally relocated itself elsewhere once it got too hungry.

Like I've said, I am generally a fan of spiders. I even have a spider tattoo! But big biting spiders en mass is not okay. I have found them on clothes in our closet, on our couch and just sitting in the middle of the floor! They are bold. We are up to a dozen in four days.

We see one in our house about once a week.....they are big ole scary things....nearly gives me a heart attack everytime I see one......It usually ends up getting killed with a flip flop, broom, book or anything else that I can get my hands on....LOL

Last edited:
sickbyc.gif
I despise spiders....the whole arachnophobia thing has me in it's grips.
hide.gif

We have the Wolf Spiders here in Eastern Washington too. I spray the whole perimeter of my home with Home Defense Max which is supposed to be safe to kids and animals once it dries. I know it isn't a natural defense, but I haven't found anything natural that reliably keeps these critters outside.
he.gif

I've learned to ignore the Garden Spiders that we have here, the ones that look like a crab. They stay outside where they belong! The Wolf Spiders are starting to move in since it is getting cold here. And they can be nasty! My mom had a bunch of bite marks from them after wearing a pair of pants that had been in her closet for a while. They are fast and aggressive. Even my cats want nothing to do with them.
hit.gif

Kasey

Back
Top Bottom