wolfdog

The one we had in class was extremely shy and strong and not a good pet. The other dogs didn't like it and it had to be kept well away them. It never did bark or respond to the other dogs but just stared, and I do believe it could have killed any of the other dogs, given the chance. The owner was a big man and had to keep both hands on the leash at all times or it would have taken off. The guy didn't make it through the class and I don't know what happened to it.

When I worked at the animal shelter in our county we got one in once on a bite case. I will never forget when I had to go into the shelter at night to drop off something I had picked up...that thing would be howling to beat the band. I really like wolves (in the wild--gorgeous creatures) but that wolf-dog kinda gave me the creeps! We had to feed it thru a slot in the wall; it was like a wild thing trapped in a domesticated body. Maybe like if you bred a big wild cat with a house cat. Not such a happy animal.

Quote:
I'm unsure how to breed wolf into the dogs, our vet told my parents Laddie has some wolf in him.
But as I said previously Laddie was an adopted rescue dog from abusers, who lived 45 miles north of us out in open country. Coyotes and wolf breeds run free out there. I'm guessing that's how he ended up with it.
His mom was the Lab/Shepard mix.

Lots of coyotes, but no wolves around Burleson, Tx. We had a wolf hybrid in obedience class. It looked very much like a wolf, but longer and heavier. Unless there are papers or you saw the litter and parents, I wouldn't think any of the dogs on this thread have a lot of wolf in them. Maybe a less than 25% - certainly no more than that -most likely a whole lot less.

I never said around Burleson area I said 45 miles north. My sister lives in the area where Laddie was born and there are wolf breeds up there along with coyotes. And I've personally seen wolf/dogs like the 1 grey 1 standing up in Epona142's pics in a 150 acre pasture in that area (it was off 114).
Sorry if you misunderstood my directions.

Last edited:
My youngest daughter had a beautiful wolf hybrid, bred by a man in her area. She went to the breeders place and saw the parents of Cain and his other wolves. Not sure if it was malamute or husky wolf was bred to, but Cain was magnificent. He went about 150-160, a definite howler!!very obedient, got along good with our dogs and cats, although he did like to chase the cats when unsupervised, but then he hadn't been raised around them so.... she had to put him down two years ago, due to cancer and it broke all our hearts. For christmas that year I painted her a picture of him on an outcropping of rock, overlooking a stream, howling at the moon... wolfie heaven

I found this pic of a timber wolf that was in NC, he favors mine.

3490_timber_wolf.jpg

"Calypso" a 6-month-old timber wolf, watches as volunteers and operators of SC-C.A.R.E.S. prepare to move the wolf and 4 siblings to a new 1/2 acre compound in Georgetown County. The wolves were rescued 5-months ago from a now closed zoo in Charlotte, N.C. The new compound is a 541 ft area enclosed with wildlife fencing and spread out over a 1/2-acre area.

Back
Top Bottom