Women Only! Need some Woman problem help

As a young teenager I vomited, had cramps in arms, legs, back and belly. The school nurse even drove me home one day because she was afraid I would pass out on the way home. They got better in my later teens and better in my 20s. By about 22-25 they were still cramps but managable. I hope things work this way for you.

Things that helped me....lots of veggies, a calcium/magnesium blend supplement, and lots of advil. I didn't discover the Advil until college and my mom just thought cramps like that were normal so I never saw a doctor. They can do a lot more now.

Aleve is what works best for me for cramps. Though cramps are usually the most tolerable of my symptoms. For the first few hours I'm usually about to throw up (sometimes I do) and just feel BLAH, sometimes I get really cold. Usually going to bed with a heating pad is the only solution (hot tubs were nice back when I had a gym membership)
Sometimes, even if I am not hurting too bad, I'm unable to concentrate (bad for driving!) and just feel disconnected, "out of it." One day I had to give a speech in class and I could NOT read my notes and make the words come out of my mouth. It was like connections were missing in my brain. Of course I got an F on the speech and failed the class.
he.gif
the teacher probably thought I was high on illegal drugs! It was bad!

Seems like working out kinda helped, you know, during the rest of the month, not when you're in pain. I never could remember to talk extra calcium/magnesium supplements regularly enough to notice a difference with them.

Oh, those BLAH's are a horrible thing too. I didn't have any mood issues when I was young, just the killer cramps. In my early 20's I finally noticed PMS: I would feel like throwing dishes at the slightest annoyance and normally I'm the most even temperered person. In my late 20's, a guy friend noticed before I even did that I was acting mopey. These days, the way I manipulate the BC I actually have no idea what's happening when, and I get random bouts of sheer misery. It's taken me a few years to connect it with PMS. Thanks goodness, so I can just tell myself it'll pass in a few days. Before I just wanted to curl up and die from unexplained sadness. I guess I've wasted all this misery on an otherwise healthy body and plumbing since I never had children. Part of me ruled that if cramps were that bad that I would never survive childbirth.

I found a doctor in my late 30's who would have done a hysterectomy on me- he was actually an oncological gyn so he was certainly used to seeing far worse than my piddly complaints. But by then I figured I was already more than halfway through my expected years of this misery; I might as well finish it out and not have all those other problems that a hysterectomy causes too.

Back
Top Bottom