Wonderful Murray McMurray Experience!!!

featheredmom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
I ordered 15 "top hats" and 15 "feather footed bantams" from MMcM.

They arrived 11/1 with 3-DOA and 2 eyes stuck shut. Even the alive chickens did not look too good, they were sluggish and "just didn't look "right" :-( I called MMcM, the lady on the phone could not have been nicer and alluded to the fact that it was a bad hatch and I know it happens. I told her that I couldn't accept a credit since this was my kids' 4H project and they needed live chickens, 10-14mos old, October of next yr for the fair/poultry show. She said she would send me 10 replacements just in case anymore died(one did) to ensure that the kids had all of their chicks, if we called over the next 2days(48hr guarantee), there was no way to ensure they would have any available chicks, they were already out of top hats and had to replace that one loss with a feather footed. I can just about guarantee that if these chickens were in "normal" homes, we would've lost another 6, but as a stay at home mom I was here all day to nurse chicks :) Honestly, this was the hardest batch of chicks to raise that I have ever had, and I have had quite a few...gro-gel was a lifesafer, literally, and we are all feeling very accomplished for getting these guys through a full week!!

We received replacements today 11/8, in that shipment we had 11 feather footed and 6 "packing peanuts" that I am guessing to be EEs. Honestly, at least 2 of the "packing peanuts" appear to be female and I thought only roo's were used for packing peanuts, but maybe because of the time of year(they are no longer selling most chicks) we got straight run, who knows. Regardless of what they are, they are all lovely! This batch of chicks are vibrant and healthy and perfect in every way!!! We have had no losses(12hrs) and aren't anticipating any(none look sick or unhealthy). I can see how the previous batch was a bad hatch, night and day between the 2 batches of chicks, just a week apart.

The variety of chicks is great and we are having a blast playing "guess the chicken breed"...

We have had such a great experience with MMcM and will definitely order from them again!!!

We have ducks coming from MMcM next week, eggs that were supposed to arrive yesterday from MPC(but apparently they are behind and should come anyday), and layers from Meyer coming the following week(Thanksgiving week).

I have MORE great news ;-) My daughter just discovered that she has not one, but TWO red frizzled cochins!!! She is doing the happy dance! It obviously wasn't noticeable prior to them beginning to feather out and I have been more concerned with our new arrivals and getting set up for our eggs to notice much, but in her nightly "journaling," she thought something was wrong with them and made me come running in panic. I had to laugh at that one! However, after seeing the frizzles, she is pumped!!

Honestly, breed is not important to me-especially since they aren't "layers," but when you are 11, getting a "rare" chicken is pretty exciting!

I have MORE great news ;-) My daughter just discovered that she has not one, but TWO red frizzled cochins!!! She is doing the happy dance! It obviously wasn't noticeable prior to them beginning to feather out and I have been more concerned with our new arrivals and getting set up for our eggs to notice much, but in her nightly "journaling," she thought something was wrong with them and made me come running in panic. I had to laugh at that one! However, after seeing the frizzles, she is pumped!!

Honestly, breed is not important to me-especially since they aren't "layers," but when you are 11, getting a "rare" chicken is pretty exciting!

I had frizzles for awhile. They always seemed cold to me over the winter...kind of made me nervous. They definitely are cute, though!

Luckily we live in Northern Louisiana where the temps rarely drop below freezing, so the cold factor shouldn't be AS much of an issue. Im so glad that my kids were able to get some great chickens! I do know they are not like "breeder birds," but for a 4H Jr Poultry show the kids should be able to find a few birds out of the 40-something that we have and that is the important part...that and they learn the responsibility and joy of chicken keeping!!

So far each day has been a delight, finding more "new" breeds as we are able to identify them! The chicks are being well socialized and carried around the house tucked in necks, the bonds they are forming with these chicks are worth their weight in starter ;-) I am truly grateful that the kids have this opportunity!!

Back
Top Bottom