Wondering if I locked down to early.

Madere44

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Independence, Louisiana
I have a 29 eggs in my still air incubator.
Temperature is 100
Humidity is 65

The way it's set up I have a turner in it and room for about 12 eggs to pip.

Currently, I have 4 that are due to pip sometime. Problem is when I candle them Wednesday and I can't see anything but black. Can see very little movement inside.
When they sit they do the shaking thing.

I put them on lockdown on Wednesday because some sites say it wont be long after they start shaking. Is it to early?
When we put these 4 in we didn't date them so we are flying blind to the day they may hatch.

Turning is most important the first two weeks, so a day or two extra of not turning near the end should not hurt them.
The main thing that would concern me with an early lock down and upped humidity is the size of the air cells. If they are on the small side they may not shrink to where they should be.
The shaking itself doesn't mean they are near to hatching, some do that for days before.

I am wondering about the black as well with some of the eggs under my broody. Is all black normal? What stage are they at? I would think they would hatch any day but I didn't date these either so I am running blind too.

All black w/ air cell = developed chick.

Exactly, usually I see this a day or two before hatch. Some people are really good at candling and can see all the pieces and parts, but if you are like me, a day or two before they hatch when I candle it is like the chick disappears and a black blob that has taken over the egg and an air cell is all I see.

Ok good. I know the hen knows what to do but I just really want at least one to hatch. My poor hen has worked so hard and looks soo miserable! She needs the reward :).

Another stupid question from me.
My eggs are like this so the air cells are this direction.
Pic A:

Or should they be turned like this?
Pic B

Ideally you want air cells up like pic A, so when they break into the air cell if they have liquid around them it flows down, away from where they are trying to breath. Though considering what happens to the rest of the eggs when the first chicks start running around and knocking them every which way, not sure what real difference it makes if the air cells are the right size and the chicks aren't stuck and can move themselves.

Back
Top Bottom