wondering what was wrong with my chicken

gameboygal12

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
I had this young barred rock chicken named vulture. he seemed to be a runt. but he was pretty much fine until one day, i went to feed him and he was literally "sitting" on his butt! he looked like a penguin. and when he walked, he really looked like a penguin waddling. and i would try to get him to stand and he would fall and sit on his butt again. so I would separate him from the rest of the chickens and give him a bowl of chick food. then I came back a few hours later and he was walking normally. then a few days later, he would do it again! then get better. does anyone know what was wrong with him?
this is what he looks like:

49698_volture.jpg

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Have you checked to see if your chicken has poopy butt? Scaly leg mites? Lice or mites around the vent area? What does the poop look like? A thorough inspection would help.

gameboygal12

Songster
9 Years
Feb 24, 2010
I don't have him anymore, all this happened about a year ago. I gave him away to one of my friends and he seemed to be fine once he grew up. but I was just wondering what was wrong with him. his bottom was clean, his legs were fine. but his feet were kinda big. I think he must have just been a sickly runt. he came with a few chicks that i ordered from Mcmurry hatchery just to warm the main chicks that I ordered.

Top Bottom