Wont eat eggs because of rooster?

AnachainAcres

Chirping
Apr 13, 2021
WNY
Ok everyone I am at a loss I haven't a clue what to do with all these eggs.

I have two leghorn hens kept with one rooster and they (as most leghorns are) are excellent layers. I usually got two and sometimes three eggs in the nest box everyday. I had tons of eggs in the fridge. My coworkers, family and friends all asked for eggs. I expanded the flock and added 9 more layers.

My problem is now nobody wants eggs because they realized the hens are with the rooster! I don't get it. Don't most keep a rooster with their free range flock? They free range and I feel better having the rooster overseeing the flock. I literally have just throw away carton after carton of eggs. I am really discouraged I am considering rehomeing the 9 and staying with the original flock of three so I am not throwing so many eggs away. I thought of donating them but they don't want them either.

Any suggestions please would be appreciated.

Ok everyone I am at a loss I haven't a clue what to do with all these eggs.

I have two leghorn hens kept with one rooster and they (as most leghorns are) are excellent layers. I usually got two and sometimes three eggs in the nest box everyday. I had tons of eggs in the fridge. My coworkers, family and friends all asked for eggs. I expanded the flock and added 9 more layers.

My problem is now nobody wants eggs because they realized the hens are with the rooster! I don't get it. Don't most keep a rooster with their free range flock? They free range and I feel better having the rooster overseeing the flock. I literally have just throw away carton after carton of eggs. I am really discouraged I am considering rehomeing the 9 and staying with the original flock of three so I am not throwing so many eggs away. I thought of donating them but they don't want them either.

Any suggestions please would be appreciated.
Are they afraid they are eating baby chicks? Some people do not understand that fresh eggs are almost always fertile if there is a rooster around; they don’t understand the concept of purposeful incubation and how the whole process works. I advertise on Craigslist and have much success that way - try explaining to people how the process works and that a fertile egg is just an egg that will develop if incubated but will stay a normal egg if not.

Are they afraid they are eating baby chicks? Some people do not understand that fresh eggs are almost always fertile if there is a rooster around; they don’t understand the concept of purposeful incubation and how the whole process works. I advertise on Craigslist and have much success that way - try explaining to people how the process works and that a fertile egg is just an egg that will develop if incubated but will stay a normal egg if not.
I have told them multiple times and it's not even the thought of a potential chick inside its just the eggs being fertilized in general. I have time and time again explained and also that leghorns aren't even particularly broody and the eggs aren't "sat on". My family is ok paying the guy down the road with a huge penned flock and a bunch of roos for eggs but won't eat from our own free range hens. I can try advertising on Craigslist I guess. I live in a rural area and it feels like every other farm has eggs for sale. I started to maintain this flock just for friends and family and now it just doesn't seem worth it. My coop is clean, hens are healthy active and shiny. I wash each egg and refrigerate them right after collecting. Date each too. 😔

I hear your frustration. I live in North Carolina and it’s hard to sell eggs because everyone has a backyard farm. I would put the extra leghorns up for sale - you should be able to get $15 a piece for them.
And one more tidbit - don’t wash the eggs after you collect them. Leave them unwashed on your countertop. They stay fresher longer that way when you don’t wash off the bloom.

I hear your frustration. I live in North Carolina and it’s hard to sell eggs because everyone has a backyard farm. I would put the extra leghorns up for sale - you should be able to get $15 a piece for them.
And one more tidbit - don’t wash the eggs after you collect them. Leave them unwashed on your countertop. They stay fresher longer that way when you don’t wash off the bloom.
Ok I will start doing that. I was really only all that because my family is paranoid it seems about these eggs and was hoping that would encourage them to at least try them not being so "icky". It would probably be for the best to trim the flock back to the original three. I love my chickens and a few of the nine additions are super friendly and ride around on my arm so it's heart breaking.

Ok I will start doing that. I was really only all that because my family is paranoid it seems about these eggs and was hoping that would encourage them to at least try them not being so "icky". It would probably be for the best to trim the flock back to the original three. I love my chickens and a few of the nine additions are super friendly and ride around on my arm so it's heart breaking.
I completely understand. I am currently sitting here with 13 of my chickens locked up in cages, waiting for their new owner to come. We have 19 chicks just hatch so we have to make room for the new - it’s breaking my heart bc they are so sweet but it’s rewarding to know that you’ve sent them to good homes. I just feel like they think I’m betraying them lol....
Another thought... in the meantime, with the excess of eggs, scramble them up and feed them back to your chickens for a healthy protein treat.
Don’t feel guilty - we do our best and that’s all we can do! Reasoning with people is pointless. Unfortunately people are grossed out by food in its natural form and would rather fake food that been bleached, treated, processes and pasteurized. Sad world we live in as far as food is concerned.

Last edited:
Since logic does not work with these people...

a) Look at your rooster's vent. It looks like any other chicken, of course. But then tell the people that you checked, and this rooster has no penis, so they should eat these eggs without worrying. (No rooster has a penis, and of course the eggs are fertile anyway, but maybe don't tell them that part.)

b) Or put the rooster in a different pen, tell all the people that the rooster is NOT with the hens, and let the people have eggs. (Do not tell them that eggs can be fertile for up to 3 weeks after the rooster moves out.) Then later, let the rooster rejoin the hens, but don't make any point of telling the people. Of course they will not be able to find any difference in the eggs, and if they ever do notice the rooster is back with the hens, just say "Oh, he doesn't seem to have any effect on the eggs now."

(Those two suggestions are mostly a joke, because the situation is so ridiculous. It sounds like those people do better if they do not think about where their food comes from!)

c) You can cook the eggs and feed them to the chickens, rather than actually throwing them out. But if you were counting on egg sales to help pay for the chicken food, that doesn't really help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom