wont use nest boxes!!

chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Bennington Vermont
I have 5 hens, 3 are laying now. I have tried everything to get them to lay in the boxes. The all lay on the floor of the coop. I had wood shavings in the boxes , then switched to stray. I got one to lay in the box, then back to the floor. I know they go in the boxes because for 2 dyas now they are kicking out all the straw and laying on the floor. Any Suggestions?
barnie.gif

sickbyc.gif
I have put everything the nest boxes except myself to show them where to lay!!!! Yesterday was the final straw, because i went and bought a nice new straw made it real fluffy, and where did it end up, on the coop floor. Drives me crazy, these chickens have got the best living conditions possible, all they need is a massage table and I think my husband is moving out there!!!
big_smile.png

I had the exact same problem.

The golf ball thing worked for all but a few.

The girls were kicking all the shavings out also. I raised the fron of the nest by 2-1/2" this kept the shavings in and seems to satisfy what ever they needed to lay in the box.

Good luck,

David

Try a chicken nesting pad, it will be hard for them to take it out of the coop - lol. I plan on using one when mine are old enough to lay. They look like they are easy to clean also.

Back
Top Bottom