Wood Stoves?

We started burning it when it got down to 30 he the other night. We could not afford oil for the heat. But I found a wicked good deal on 20 cords of wood
( FREE!!!) Got it from my boss. I work for a logger and this was all nice hard wood that the mill wouldnt take. So he gave it to me.

Not yet. We have a Hearthstone Soapstone wood stove and love it. Just got a cord of wood delivered today, but will continue to cut some from our property as soon as we get a new chainsaw blade. We heat with wood exclusively, though we do have a heatpump.

i love standing in front of our buck stove, my dbf cuts the wood himself, and rarely does the power bill go over a hundred dollars, and that is usually in the summer time.

Not yet. We are still doing indoor painting projects, and have the windows open to ventilate the fumes. Also, there was only one night that was really cold enough to need it.

We used, hmm, about 2 cords of wood last year. We have oil heat backup that did a lot of backing up--last winter it snowed every other freakin' day. As soon as we got dug out from one storm, another came along, so there was no time left over for splitting more wood.

Since then, we've insulated quite a bit and got more hardwoods to burn (ash and cherry instead of oak/pine mix). Hopefully will use less, but we have 3 cords stacked and ready to go in case.

Quote:
You will love the heat from the pellet stove.
If you can find Pennington Brand Pellets...they are in a yellow bag and are oak pellets. Many other brands are "hardwood pellets"
Those are considered hardwood if the tree drops its leaves. Oak pellets burn hotter, longer, and less ash and residue on your glass to clean. Tractor Supply used to have pellets that were private labelled by Hamers. Those were good pellets..not as good as Pennington brand though.

Hints... If your auger stops feeding pellets...check to see that your pipe going to chimney is not stopped up. Some brands have this as a safety feature. Found out the hardway on a Whitfield after replacing an auger motor and a switch.

We won't fire our woodstove up until it gets down into the low 50's for daytime highs. It is super efficient and will drive us right out of the house if it gets to be above 55* outside.

We don't let ours burn all night. I grew up in a home where the woodstove got stuffed every two hours all night long and I'm too lazy to do that! That and we had a fire from it, so I'm paranoid to have a fire going at night or when I am not home. So we use the heat at night.

As for wood, I have no idea how much wood we use. We usually get our own and as long as the pile is big, we should be ok. Too much is always better than too little!

I'm curious if anyone else has a water tank on their woodstove? We have 1 that does. I don't know how much it holds for sure, maybe 10 gallons. It's in our basement and when the water gets hot it circulates through the house. If we didn't burn that then our oil heater would be heating that water and circulating it. We haven't burned any oil for heating the house in years. I just wonder if anyone else has a water tank on theirs and how it works. Ours works great, keeps the house cozy.

Quote:
We almost bought one of those, but just too expensive, we needed some "change" to pay for the extra installation stuff we'll need.
My hubby is off picking up our stove now, a Vogelzang Highlander, and buying some goodies to start the install - cement board etc. I'll go buy tile next weekend once we know exactly how much we need.

ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom