Wood Stoves?

Quote:
I know this answer won't really help you, but lots and lots. We cut a year ahead so the wood will be dry for the next season. Hubby cuts many pick up loads.....I don't know how many cords it equals.

I went out and stepped the piles off. We've got two rows each about 35-40 feet long and stacked about 4 feet high. Hopefully that will get us thru most of the winter without having to go find a dead tree in the pasture to cut up.

We totally heat with wood. If you're just using it to supplement your furnace you won't go thru as much.

This will be my first winter with one..(if we ever get the thing hooked up!)
Cant wait!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I know this answer won't really help you, but lots and lots. We cut a year ahead so the wood will be dry for the next season. Hubby cuts many pick up loads.....I don't know how many cords it equals.

I went out and stepped the piles off. We've got two rows each about 35-40 feet long and stacked about 4 feet high. Hopefully that will get us thru most of the winter without having to go find a dead tree in the pasture to cut up.

We totally heat with wood. If you're just using it to supplement your furnace you won't go thru as much.

Wow that is a lot. I've heard we will use a ton of wood if we heat with wood only - I don't think we'll do that this year, we're still figuring it out. Someone said 3-4 cords of wood would do well for us, and I think a cord is 4ft high by 7 or 8 feet long.

Started the pellet stove last night. TSC has the best prices so far for pellets this year $250 per ton.
big_smile.png
Paid $285 last year!

The type of wood you are burning can decide how much you go through. I honestly couldn't tell you how much we burn. We use pine, oak, and pecan wood though. We don't have a large house and it holds heat pretty well. My dh fills the stove when he is here but during the day when he is working I usually only have to fill it twice on really cold days. He is usually gone from 7 in the morning until 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

how much wood really depends on a LOT of factors
how efficient your wood stove is is a biggy - how much space you are trying to heat. what kind of wood. how dry it is.
This year we got a logging truck load of birch and fir dropped off (yes its a huge amount) about 15 cords we figure and we hope it will last us at least 3 years if we don't add to it but we plan on going out every summer to add to it and keep up the supply. we also heat up to 2500 sq ft. or that is the amount our stove should do and its a brand new wood stove so its fairly efficient last year we went through about 4 cords but that was all pine. so this year we will see.
our motto is:
when you think you have enough for the winter go out and at least get 1/3 more of what you have already lol. cept this year of course with the logging truck load.

Back
Top Bottom