Woodburning stove!!!!!

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I'm thinking about getting a dutchwest stove. Are they good . Any suggestions, info, where to buy etc. I live in a barnominium so I only need to heat about 650 sq feet. Thanks. 7L

We got a used one from craigslist for $0 dollars ....It was missed the bricks and we put some work in to new seals but we like it....It is the bear model and has 2 areas on which we cook and I bought a stove (metal that fits on top and I bake on it as well.) I would be sure to get professionally installed and if I were buying one vs getting one free, I'll stay with those that have cooking/eating areas on the top. The enameled ones are lovely to look at but we're tough on things in the country, so I'll say no to those. The corn pellet models are very expensive in terms of finding fuel and probably will continue to be so. happy huntingl.

I don't know about the dutchwest stoves, but I want to agree with Bargain and suggest you stay away from the enameled ones. We have a Vermont Castings "Defiant" wood stove in an off white enamel finish. It was beautiful when new but over the years (7 so far) we have several areas where the enamel has chipped off. The supplied touch up paint does not hide the chips very well. I now wish that I had "cheaped out" and gotten the classic black unenameled one.

Last edited:
We have a Hearthstone soapstone wood burning stove. LOVE it! The soapstone is handsome and retains heat for hours even after the fire is actually out. Cost more than a furnace to have it installed, but we've never regretted it. It is our only means of heat in winter for our home (though we do have a heatpump). If we move, I will install a new one in our next place, no matter what it costs. Our small home is fairly open and there is no blower on this one, but it is not needed at all. Heats the entire 1100 sf, but the open living/dining/kitchen/foyer are all combined and those stay toasty. The two bedrooms and bathroom are slightly cooler, but that is better for sleeping anyway.

DCP_0958b.jpg

We have wood/coal heat. Our stove is a Johnston (very old). It heats our entire house - sometimes to the point where we have to open a window to let the hot out! Usually my fault for leaving the damper open. So watch that!!!! I just wanted to tell you to be sure you have carbon monoxide detectors in your house and fire extinguishers! They're easy to forget about.

Edited to add - the house is two story with a total of about 1100 square feet and the stove has a blower on the back.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do not know the variety you are requesting info on OP.... HOWEVER... We have a Hearthstone Mansfield soap stone wood burning stove..

It has been our primary source of heat for 7 years... It is an investment, but worth it if you plan to use it./..
wink.png

IMO in cast iron stoves Jotul is #1 (Cast iron stove give fast warm up great for a cabin.) I personally like soapstone stove which hold the heat so when the fire goes out I do not freeze my butt off..........(Soapstone holds the heat after the fire is out.)

Matter of fact, in Scandinavian cultures they use soap stone fire places that you burn a fast hot (softwood) fire, that passes through many chambers to warm the soapstone.. Then the stove radiates heat for a long time after...
wink.png

Sorry I have a strong bias to soapstone.. and expensive wood stoves in general...
(I feel I am justified to have that opinion and feel I belong to an elite club of folks who heat solely with wood..)
(When you freeze or go to the wood pile for wood 24x7 one values the investment in the best of the best...)
big_smile.png

Best of luck with your choices...

Links on my choice in soapstone:
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/
Here is my choice in cast iron:
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/
ON

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom