Woods Fresh Air Poultry House

I am very interested in this type of coop. Unfortunately I would not be able to build it in the space that I have. I would not be able to make it as deep as it needs to be to function correctly. But I think it is a great design and more people should consider it.

In the book are plans for a 6' x 10' "backyard" version, which even back then (100 years ago) was intended for urban back lots.

BTW, for anyone wanting to build a house of this type, there is a book available for purchase on Amazon and other places. Modern publisher is Robert P, who has begun posting on this forum. Thanks to Robert, JackE and the OP in this thread for info on these type of open air houses.

All of those have inspired me to start construction on an 8' x 12' version that I hope to have done far enough to populate with chicks in the next week or so.

In the book are plans for a 6' x 10' "backyard" version, which even back then (100 years ago) was intended for urban back lots.

BTW, for anyone wanting to build a house of this type, there is a book available for purchase on Amazon and other places. Modern publisher is Robert P, who has begun posting on this forum. Thanks to Robert, JackE and the OP in this thread for info on these type of open air houses.

All of those have inspired me to start construction on an 8' x 12' version that I hope to have done far enough to populate with chicks in the next week or so.

Thanks for the info on the current book on Amazon...I'll go and check that out today. I really like the concept behind this style of coop as it follows the logic behind the type of coops mentioned in another book I am reading right now by Harvey Ussery; The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market. He advocates LOTS of open air in coops as well as using a dirt floor and the deep litter method. It all really makes a lot of sense.

Please come back and share your finished coop!! I'd love to see it! I am trying to figure out if I can use some kind of pallets to obtain most of the lumber for it but I am afraid it won't be tall enough as I want to be able to walk into the structure and not crawl...my old body doesn't like getting down low anymore, lol!

How have you liked it since you finished it last year? Did it hold up well with all that crazy snow we had this winter? Was the entire coop built mostly from industrial size pallets and if so, what direction could I look in to find some similar product? I'm on a REALLY tight (read; non-existent at the moment) budget, lol. Thanks!

I love it in all aspects. It did great in the snow, rain and wind. On bad weather days when they stay in, they really turn the deep litter thoroughly. I can relate to being tight, I probably wouldn't have built a coop of this size if I had to buy the lumber outright. I would suggest searching industrial areas for companies discarding wood. I lucked out by getting my lumber from work. Craigslist may be another option.

I love it in all aspects. It did great in the snow, rain and wind. On bad weather days when they stay in, they really turn the deep litter thoroughly. I can relate to being tight, I probably wouldn't have built a coop of this size if I had to buy the lumber outright. I would suggest searching industrial areas for companies discarding wood. I lucked out by getting my lumber from work. Craigslist may be another option.
That's awesome. How large is your flock? I'm wondering if I can scale the size below down just a bit since my zoning only allows me 10 hens total. Having said that, I want to be able to stand up inside.

Last edited:
My goal for flock size was between 6- 10, but my will power broke and I'm now at 16. When you read the book he gives several plans on different size houses. I believe there is a plan for a 6x10 coop in the book. The important part is keeping the ratios correct of the front and rear sections to maintain the air cushion when all the doors and windows are closed up. Mine is a slightly scaled down version of the Knock Down (KD) 10x16. A walk in coop was on my must have list when I was looking for a design.

Funny, I hear a LOT about the infamous 'chicken math' and have thought that as much as I don't like being limited to 10 hens, maybe it's for my own good, lol! There is a plan for a 6x10 (see below) and it does allow for standing up in so that would work. Thanks again for your feedback.

Last edited:
Yes! That's the 6x10. Good luck and have fun with it.

I never thought I'd get hit by the chicken math. I mean, I always planned to add new chicks every year culling out the boys and such keeping the number in check. But there I was at the feed store when the day old chicks came in, and I said "I'll take 6 of those................and 6 of those". Next thing I new I was driving home with a dozen chicks saying "what did I just do?". lol

lau.gif
That so totally made me laugh!! At least you're having fun with it though and can laugh at your addiction!

Back
Top Bottom