Woods-Style Coop Construction---Help appreciated

Quote:
Sorry-- I missed this post---

I slept on the ideas last night, read a bit more of the woods book and then your post . . . and it all clicked together. You are right, the 2 designs are different.

I have several ccops using the rafter ventilation method and for me it is not keping the air fresh in side for the birds. IT is toasty warm, yes, but I can smell the ammonia and that really bothers me.

I have a couple smaller designs and the air is exhanged quickly in those, so usually no ammonia odor.

Work continues. Got DH to take some pics, now need him to down load.

Sorry-- I missed this post---

I slept on the ideas last night, read a bit more of the woods book and then your post . . . and it all clicked together. You are right, the 2 designs are different.

I have several ccops using the rafter ventilation method and for me it is not keping the air fresh in side for the birds. IT is toasty warm, yes, but I can smell the ammonia and that really bothers me.

I have a couple smaller designs and the air is exhanged quickly in those, so usually no ammonia odor.

Work continues. Got DH to take some pics, now need him to down load.
Interesting you say that as I'm more and more convinced that the wood coop is one of the best for ventilation.

Last pcs of the roof pylwood are on. Put on a tarp for now as the rains have been pouring for 40 days.

Window look great!! THe monitor section will be a little big to retrofit the scavenged windows.
THese windows are covered in chicken wire, and open inward to reduce weathering of the windows. Simple toggle stick to hold closed. No system to hold open yet.

BOttom temporary covering is in heavy gage wire, 2x4 coated. Need to ad a plastic poly chicken wire on the insude for safety and prevent raccons from pulling at a chicken.

ANd put up temporary wall across the middle and that will finish the wall for now.

DH is willing to continue construction of the second half over the next few weeks.

A hen with chicks is amoung the expected group. FIgure to make a raised brooding box, above the floor, and out of reach of the other birds. Mommas gotta have her space.

......THese windows are covered in chicken wire, and open inward to reduce weathering of the windows. Simple toggle stick to hold closed. No system to hold open yet.

I used ropes, and fashioned a simple plywood latch and pole to operate them.
Might spark some ideas for you.

aart-- this is great!! I didn't think of running the ropes down the wall by the door. I kept trying to attach the ropes higher up. My one concern with the design in the pics is that birds could get caught behind the lines. Though it may never have happened, it's one of those "what ifs" that I think about. Love how neat and orderly the ropes are . I have 2 salvaged boat cleats that might be useful.

THe latch looks similar to the one DH put in as a temp solution. Might become the one to use as I can actually reach them at his point ( the window are lower than origianlly planned)

aart-- this is great!! I didn't think of running the ropes down the wall by the door. I kept trying to attach the ropes higher up. My one concern with the design in the pics is that birds could get caught behind the lines. Though it may never have happened, it's one of those "what ifs" that I think about. Love how neat and orderly the ropes are . I have 2 salvaged boat cleats that might be useful.

THe latch looks similar to the one DH put in as a temp solution. Might become the one to use as I can actually reach them at his point ( the window are lower than origianlly planned)

Well, my coop is only in part of the shed (see My Coop page) so the chooks do not have access to the ropes...so not sure if they had access it would be a problem
You might be able to put some kind of a barrier if it did prove a problem?

I actually used 4 boat cleats (funny story there) to contain the loop ends of the ropes when windows are either open or closed.
I looked at buying those type latches but they were expensive and only available online (shipping) so I cut one out of plywood to see if it would work and it did, so......I made 3 more.

Quote:
GOod to know-- DS is dying to use his jacknife to carve something. MIght need to give him the door knob to carve.

I'm a trash picker-- got that from my grandfather-- reuse anything that is useful.

I'm sure I can find a way to run the ropes thru a pipe or a wooden box with holes drilled for access-- both should keep chooks out of harms way.

DId you use paracord??

I'm bettin' the chooks will ignore the ropes, and you won't have to do anything.

It's just 1/4" cotton cored nylon...got it at the local hardware.

Thanks LM.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom