Woodstock, IL pre-pilot

Marterves

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2017
I’m currently working with the city of Woodstock in IL on a “pre-pilot” program. I have 2 participants approved by the Mayor that are allowed to have chickens through october given they obtain signatures of their neighbors. One of my participants has received all their signatures!
At the end of the trial I plan to go before the board to open a full pilot. I will be gathering details from my participants but would also like to get input from the neighbors.
Any ideas of questions to have them answer at the end of the season?

Smell, rodents, noise?

These are the big three that hinder backyard chicken keeping. Peoples' preconceptions of what will happen if chickens are allowed.

It will stink. This of course is not true unless a person doesn't clean coop or has a small run that turned into a mud/composting pit in spring.

Chickens draw in rodents. This is a valid concern and very true. Sadly this seedy underbelly of keeping livestock isn't addressed enough until after it's become a problem. There absolutely needs to be a plan of action in place as soon as you get birds. I use chunx poison in tamper proof bait boxes. Of course keep bags of feed in metal trash can and take feed from run/coop every night to store in secure area.

Noise. How loud are the birds? Do they awake people early in morning, do they make noise into the evening and are they loud during the day? Most of the annoying noise of keeping birds is taken care of if cock birds are not allowed but hens make noise too. Just not pre dawn. The egg song can be loud but it's during daylight and a one off for each bird laying. Not constant or quite as loud as a crowing cock bird can be.

How many neighbors did you have to get to sign off on the chickens? My next door neighbor hates me and would never sign, but all the other neighbors would be fine. Was it an all or nothing proposition?

I’m currently working with the city of Woodstock in IL on a “pre-pilot” program. I have 2 participants approved by the Mayor that are allowed to have chickens through october given they obtain signatures of their neighbors. One of my participants has received all their signatures!
At the end of the trial I plan to go before the board to open a full pilot. I will be gathering details from my participants but would also like to get input from the neighbors.
Any ideas of questions to have them answer at the end of the season?
I am a resident of Woodstock I have ducks. I'd like to have a conversation about birds I'd like to get together for coffee if we can my treat.

Back
Top Bottom