WooHoo! First "home grown" turkey eggs hatching now! PIC added.

ChanceRider

Crowing
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Somerset, CA
Early last spring I ordered Bourbon Red and Midget White hatching eggs and eventually wound up with 18 turkeys. I didn't expect anyone to start laying until spring and haven't separated the two varieties completely yet. Lo and behold, my MW hens started laying about 1 1/2 months ago. The temptation was just too great and I put 17 eggs into an incubator. At 2 weeks I had 13 viable eggs which are due to hatch this Saturday. Came home from a sportsmen's show a little while ago and was welcomed home by a brand new poult! Several more are pipping already also.

Looks like my MW hen was bred by the BR tom. Since these will be table birds I didn't care if they were mixed. Come very early spring I'll separate out the two varieties. So cute... thanks for letting me share my excitement!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I've hatched out 2 batches of shipped turkey eggs, and in each case I was pretty happy with the 50% hatch rate. Out of the 17 eggs I set from my own hens, 4 were clears that I tossed after 2 weeks, and, get this... 12 of the 13 remaining eggs hatched!
woot.gif
Wow, what a difference!

Here's a pic of the poults at about 2 - 3 days after hatching. Can't wait to see what they look like as they grow out. Wait... I'm giving them away. I'll have to ask for pics of them later on.

14651_012610_1st_batch_home_grown_brmw_poults.jpg

WhooHooo, they are so cute!
So glad to see pics of them.
It is amazing regarding shipped vs hatched from your own flock.
And as I recall some were older than our shipped eggs are when you set them right?

I guess if you want 50% hatch rates you are going to have to toss those eggs around on the way to the incubator from the coop.
congrats on a great hatch

Back
Top Bottom