Words can't describe how angry I am right now.

think_fast_chicklenuts

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
This morning I noticed my favorite chicken, Rosy, was missing. I looked all over for her, but couldn't find her. I was getting really worried, and my heart sank when I saw a trail of feathers leading to under the shed. I checked there, and I found half of her. A raccoon probably took the other half. But that raccoon made one mistake. He left an open chicken corpse right next to his little hidey-hole. He messed with the most dangerous species on the planet, killed their favorite bird, and then left evidence of where he lives. I'm trying to find the trap right now, and I'm trying to decide if I should release him far away, or have a striped hide decoration on my bedroom wall. I like raccoons, I really do, but this one just made me angrier than I've been in a while. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a soul for a soul.

Last edited:
And NO! dont catch and release a racoon.
Dispatch it.
If you move it elswhere it just moves your chicken killer near to someone elses flock.
Also moved wildlife is sometimes killed by local wildlife or starved because it has no knowledge of the new territory.
Plus, once you catch and dispatch your coon, your territory will just be occupied by another racoon. Thats how it works
Best to fortify your coop and run against preditors for long term protection.
Good luck!

Hi, are your chickens locked in a secure place at night?
Racoons are opportunists and if you give them an opening, they will take it.
Also, I'm wondering about the "little hidey hole".
That does not sound like racoon to me.
Sorry for your loss
I free range them during the day and lock them up at night. But that was definitely the doing of a raccoon, maybe a fox or weasel. The "hidey-hole" Is a big hole in the ground right next to The corpse. It looks about the right size to be a raccoon.

I free range them during the day and lock them up at night. But that was definitely the doing of a raccoon, maybe a fox or weasel. The "hidey-hole" Is a big hole in the ground right next to The corpse. It looks about the right size to be a raccoon.
Raccoons do not build dens underground. Could be a skunk, but I’d say weasel if you have those

Raccoons do not build dens underground. Could be a skunk, but I’d say weasel if you have those
Never seen either of those on the property, but I think they exist in my area. I wanna get it out of here, but based on what the other comment said, I don't know how I'm gonna do that. I calmed down a bit and realized that it was just trying to eat, so I'm not gonna kill it. But if I can't release it either, what do I do? It can't just stay on my property.

Never seen either of those on the property, but I think they exist in my area. I wanna get it out of here, but based on what the other comment said, I don't know how I'm gonna do that. I calmed down a bit and realized that it was just trying to eat, so I'm not gonna kill it. But if I can't release it either, what do I do? It can't just stay on my property.
I’d be pissed too, but rehoming it just makes it someone else’s problem.

Back
Top Bottom