Working with and Cutting Hardware Cloth

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JDN, Jun 12, 2019.

1. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    It's a miserable, awful medium to work with.

For installing it, I find a staple gun makes your life much easier. It isn't a permanent/long term solution but acts as a temporary glue. Lots of people recommend screws with washers. I like a furring strip (1x2 or 1x3 or 1x4 piece of flimsy wood) with nails or screws. For smaller operations like a window, make a wood frame in two layers. Lay it on the first frame, then screw the other frame making an HC sandwich.

Cutting Hardware cloth:

Tin Snips and Wire cutters work, sort of but its tedious and you invariably end up bleeding.

This is what I've found works well.

An Angle grinder.

Circular saw. Probably not good for the blade but I don't care.

A Dremel with a metal cutting wheel or cutting wheel. You can buy a cheap Walmart brand rotary tool for $19.00. Its probably safer than the circular saw and since the wheel is smaller its more precise and easier to work it in places.

Wear eye protection when you use the power tools.

2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    I use some big hardware cloth scissors. They cut it like scissors cutting paper.

3. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    And in any case, GLOVES. This is good stuff, but it is a bear to work with. I liked the visual of an "HC sandwich," Lol.

4. IamRainey

IamRainey Songster

Yup! It's tedious stuff to work with. But, once up, it gives good protection for a long worry-free time.

I got off-set wire cutters and I cut close to the vertical. It means I have to make 2 cuts but I don't get my knuckles chewed up as much.

I prefer to cover it with furring too. Nice look. Nothing to get a claw under and work out.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  5. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Powhatan Va
    I got a pair of hardware cloth scissors, they look like long tin snips, still a bear to work with, but more accurate than angle grinder, I'm not very good with it, yet. Secure at least one side before making that last cut.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  6. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    THat's why I like the dremel with the cutting wheel...Its a grinder in miniature.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have tried many cutting tools and found bypass tin snips to work bestest and fastest.
    Instead of cutting off the 'pokers', I bend them over. See pic below. Tedious, yes, but could do it standing up, a change up in hand stress, and didn't have to deal with those little tiny pieces of metal all over(not good with dogs running around).

I used the concrete garage floor for rolling out and cutting/bending pieces to size,
    then roll loosely(if no bends) to carry out and install.
    A pair of knee pads area essential for my old knees.
    Gallon jugs of water used to hold down ends of rolls.
    I cut and installed ~96% of the HC for my coop by myself,
    had help with the eaves and run liners.

Ordered specially sized washers and dry wall screws to attach.
    Lots of pics here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

[​IMG]

8. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    I got these for my impact driver and they work pretty well.

PowerShears.jpg

Korzak likes this.
  9. Ponte

Ponte Chirping

Apr 4, 2019
    566FC8CD-818D-4A39-8551-56422410BDAC.jpeg I cut my hc with this old drill snip.
    Cuts it like a hot knife on butter.

Ghosty and trumpeting_angel like this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Would love to see both of these in action.....or at least a still pic of the cut they make.

AmyJane725 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: