Working with and Cutting Hardware Cloth

JDN

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2018
Raleigh NC
It's a miserable, awful medium to work with.

For installing it, I find a staple gun makes your life much easier. It isn't a permanent/long term solution but acts as a temporary glue. Lots of people recommend screws with washers. I like a furring strip (1x2 or 1x3 or 1x4 piece of flimsy wood) with nails or screws. For smaller operations like a window, make a wood frame in two layers. Lay it on the first frame, then screw the other frame making an HC sandwich.

Cutting Hardware cloth:

Tin Snips and Wire cutters work, sort of but its tedious and you invariably end up bleeding.

This is what I've found works well.

An Angle grinder.

Circular saw. Probably not good for the blade but I don't care.

A Dremel with a metal cutting wheel or cutting wheel. You can buy a cheap Walmart brand rotary tool for $19.00. Its probably safer than the circular saw and since the wheel is smaller its more precise and easier to work it in places.

Wear eye protection when you use the power tools.

I got a pair of hardware cloth scissors, they look like long tin snips, still a bear to work with, but more accurate than angle grinder, I'm not very good with it, yet. Secure at least one side before making that last cut.

I got a pair of hardware cloth scissors, they look like long tin snips, still a bear to work with, but more accurate than angle grinder, I'm not very good with it, yet. Secure at least one side before making that last cut.
THat's why I like the dremel with the cutting wheel...Its a grinder in miniature.

Have tried many cutting tools and found bypass tin snips to work bestest and fastest.
Instead of cutting off the 'pokers', I bend them over. See pic below. Tedious, yes, but could do it standing up, a change up in hand stress, and didn't have to deal with those little tiny pieces of metal all over(not good with dogs running around).

I used the concrete garage floor for rolling out and cutting/bending pieces to size,
then roll loosely(if no bends) to carry out and install.
A pair of knee pads area essential for my old knees.
Gallon jugs of water used to hold down ends of rolls.
I cut and installed ~96% of the HC for my coop by myself,
had help with the eaves and run liners.

Ordered specially sized washers and dry wall screws to attach.
Lots of pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

full

Back
Top Bottom