Worm Farming.

My grandad raised worms out here from the mid 70's until the early 80's when he passed. Whenever I want to go fishing or give the feather heads a treat I go put a shovel in the ground anywhere on my front property and we all get happy. He made raised beds with plastic on the bottoms, two 12' boards on top of each other for the sides and netting on the top. His beds where about 50' long and 5' wide. I remember people coming in to buy little cottage cheese containers with worms in them, some to fish, some for compost, some to dissect.

Meal worms turn into beetles
Red worms turn into fish (if you do it right)
lau.gif
[/img]

I figure any place that sells gardening stuff such as plants, equipment, etc... will be interested in buying worm castings, worm tea, and worms from me. So that solves my problem of finding a nearby farmers market. The nearest one to me is like 20 minutes away where as I have 4 gardening centers within 1 mile of my house. Problem solved!

Ya I contacted him. He seems nice. But it takes a long time for him to get back to me considering the type of business he is trying to accomplish. I think I am better off getting a 3 tray worm bin and selling my worm castings / tea to some markets in my town.

You can sell worms for all kinds of things, locally and online. People use them for bait, composting and to feed their pets (fish, some birds, reptiles, etc). You can then sift out the castings and sell the castings for a pretty penny (people pay a fortune for it), or you can even make a worm casting tea and sell that. Advertise wherever you can, and undercut the competition.

Back
Top Bottom