worm in egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goochgirl, Jul 11, 2010.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    I'm visiting my parent's this week. They purchase free range eggs from a local farm. I made the kids some eggs last night and noticed something in one of the eggs that looked like it could be a worm. It was a pink/flesh colored tiny line. Could this chicken have worms? Should I contact the owner? Should I toss the eggs out????

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That has been posted before. Cannot be sure. Can you post a pix?

Imp

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  4. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I am new to chickens so I don't know about worms in eggs, but as a consumer of eggs, I am grossed out. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread so I can learn how and why that happens. I would scream bloody murder if I found a worm in an egg.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    That would just ruin breakfast wouldn't it? I've never found a worm inside an egg before. I hope I never do. I'll have to make sure my chickens get wormed twice a year for sure now. I usually just do it in the spring but not anymore. Thats just gross.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Could this chicken have worms?

Yes. Some worms can navigate from the intestinal tract to the egg laying factory and get caught in an egg while it is forming. It is extremely rare but it can happen. The link below tralks about it.

Should I contact the owner?

I would. They may give you some free eggs as comnpensation but mostly they may not even know their chickens have worms.

Should I toss the eggs out??

No, just that one. There is nothing wrong with the other eggs. They probably did not even come from the same hen although it is pretty sure that all the hens in that flock have worms. As I said, it is extremely rare that a worm finds its way to this area of a hen, even if she has a heavy infestation.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    from what i've read a hen must have a heavy infestation of worms for one to end up in the egg.

that is just unappetizing though! [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm worming the chickens tomorrow night!

10. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by