Wormer help

JoanieMay0223

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Maine, USA
I found a worm, a round worm in a dropping. Is there a wormer on the market that does not require a wait time to use the eggs after worming? I have been using Wormguard Plus for over 2 years, (no wait time using the eggs, it is put in the feed continually) only have had one other instance of seeing a worm in a dropping. I called and talked to the people I ordered the Wormguard from when I saw a worm the first time, over a year ago. I was told to tripple the dose for 3 weeks, which I did, and it seemed to take care of the problem. I tried the same procedure this time, but found a worm today. Wormguard is diamacious earth basically, with other nutrients added, you use 1 tablespoon of the powder to each pound of feed. I have Piperazine, but there is the wait time to use the eggs. I just checked the expiration date on the bottle, and it expired in 2011. Would it still be viable for chickens? My flock of 13 adult bantams and 6 chicks 13 weeks old, free range, so I am not sure how much feed each bird is consuming. I feel the worms are from one bird, based on the place on the drop board beneath the roosts that I found the worms. What are your suggestions? Should I continue using just the Wormguard Plus, or use another remedy? I am sorry this thread is lengthy, but I wanted to give you as many of the facts that I can. Thanks for your help.

Organic, no chemical remedies will not fix an existing worm load. You need to use an actual chemical wormer and discard the eggs for two weeks.

We use ivermectin pour-on for cattle. A small bottle is like $4, and you only use 1/2 mL per hen. When you buy the pour-on, also buy a small luer tip syringe (no needle needed) for application. Put it on the skin of the neck. It will take care of internal and external parasites, including your roundworms. Wont' take care of tapeworm if they have it, though.

Also, best BYC wormer thread ever: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/213065/to-worm-or-not-and-piperazine-dosage-for-bantams

Last edited:
Thank you all so very much for your help, I do appreciate it! Walking on Sunshine, I have Ivomec by Eprinex Pour-on for Beef and Dairy Cattle (eprinomectin) that I have used for mites or lice. It sounds like the same type of product you use. Can I use this for the worms also? I am about to dose the flock for any bugs, I do this about every 3 months. It says zero slaughter withdrawl, zero milk discard on the box. I got this product name on this site, suggested because of the no withdrawl feature. We used the eggs right away, as far as I know all is well! I had to buy a big bottle, 250 mL (8.5 oz.) It was all Tractor Supply carried. It was just over $40.00, that did make me gasp. I used 1-2 drops on the back of the neck for my banties. I just checked and saw it expired on 8/12, I have not used a tablespoon out of the bottle! I am sure it is still good, things do not usually turn to dust on the exact expiration day. I hope. Also thank you for the Best Backyard Chicken Wormer link, it has lots of info on it, I will put it in my favorites along with Sumi's link for a go-to reference.

Sumi, thank you for the website link. It sure has some very interesting information on it, I had to go to bed it was nearly 1 a.m. when I just had to stop and get some sleep. I intend to look it over thoroughly and keep in in my favorites for reference.

Emu Hugger, I have heard of Wazine, and if I have to use a product with withdrawl time, I will surely check this out. Thanks for your help.

Joan

Diatomataceous Earth is an organic product that can be put into food, dust baths, etc. and is supposed to help prevent worms and help with mites, etc. Might do some research for future use.
Our feed store carries it in 40 lb. bags that is economical so check with your feed store before you spend alot on a small amount off the web.

Thank you all so very much for your help, I do appreciate it! Walking on Sunshine, I have Ivomec by Eprinex Pour-on for Beef and Dairy Cattle (eprinomectin) that I have used for mites or lice. It sounds like the same type of product you use. Can I use this for the worms also? I am about to dose the flock for any bugs, I do this about every 3 months. It says zero slaughter withdrawl, zero milk discard on the box. I got this product name on this site, suggested because of the no withdrawl feature. We used the eggs right away, as far as I know all is well! I had to buy a big bottle, 250 mL (8.5 oz.) It was all Tractor Supply carried. It was just over $40.00, that did make me gasp. I used 1-2 drops on the back of the neck for my banties. I just checked and saw it expired on 8/12, I have not used a tablespoon out of the bottle! I am sure it is still good, things do not usually turn to dust on the exact expiration day. I hope. Also thank you for the Best Backyard Chicken Wormer link, it has lots of info on it, I will put it in my favorites along with Sumi's link for a go-to reference.

Sumi, thank you for the website link. It sure has some very interesting information on it, I had to go to bed it was nearly 1 a.m. when I just had to stop and get some sleep. I intend to look it over thoroughly and keep in in my favorites for reference.

Emu Hugger, I have heard of Wazine, and if I have to use a product with withdrawl time, I will surely check this out. Thanks for your help.

Joan
You're welcome. I did a quick search yesterday when I saw no-one answered you yet and found that thread. Another member lists 2 dewormers there with no withdrawal and gives some more info on it as well. Very informative!

Hi, Just thought I'd add my experience. I started with DE at the same time I got my first chickens. I spread it all over the coop, in their nesting boxes, on them and a little everywhere. I have been battling lice and worms for the last several months. I only became a chicken wrangler a little less than 2 yr ago. I'm not going to say that it won't work for some people but it certainly hasn't for me. I have had so many problems raising my chickens and am beginning to wonder if it is environmental. I'm still using the DE, I'm thinking it probably could be worse. We had roundworms bad and I could only get Wazine, so I used it. No worms as of today. Because of the lice and using seven, we aren't eating our eggs and haven't for a couple of months. I plan on routinely worming my girls but going to use Valbazen. It treats a lot more. Can't eat the eggs though.

Last edited:
Garden centers should have D.E. as well, used for pest control around plants frequently- anywhere from 2-40lb bags...

I dewormed my chickens with an ostrich dewormer (it's all I can get here) and we ate the eggs afterwards. I have no problem with worms
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom