Wormer?

I am really new at knowing or not knowing you have to worm your chickens so here's a question. After you give them whatever you are using to de-worm, are you or am I going to see anything in the poo afterwords? I gave them Pumpkin seeds ground up with buttermilk yesterday and today I see nothing in their poo. Is something wrong, or did it work? I am going to give them some more today followed with some yogurt. If I am doing it wrong please let me know because I just want these worms gone . I have ordered "Valbazen" but it won't be here for a couple of days.

I am new too; i feed my chickens pumkin, garlic, bannanas and whatnot all the time and only see the worms sometimes; mabie they were shedding as part of their cycle and not what i fed them, that's what i was wondering...

Quote:
I used to give my girls and boys on a daily diet, spinach, cooked spaghetti, dry oats, yogurt, diced apples, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, watermelon or some kind of melon, and anything else I could find in the house. I never saw any unhealthy poo or worms or anything. Since I stopped giving it to them they have started to become unhealthy. I guess I have to go back to feeding them goodies. The last time I gave them spinach mixed with something else I don't remember, they wouldn't eat it. So I stopped. The spinach was REAL dry. Maybe that's why.

Last edited:
If you see worms in poo after a worming , it is because they had a heavy load and the gut in now not a nice place for them.... so they are leaving.
big_smile.png
If you see worms before you worm, they have them and they are going through their natural life cycle, and laying eggs inside the gut then dieing.

Proper worming for what type of worms you have is the key.

Lice/Mites and worms - You would need something like Ivomectrain applied to the skin. ( Do not give to a very weak bird as they can die from the overload of parasite death)

Round worms - Wazine, WAZINE ONLY KILLS ROUND WORMS

Other Types of worms - Safeguard Liquid goat wormer- 1cc per 10lbs of bird, then 3ccs to 1 gallon drinking water for 5 days. repeat in 7-14 days( For very weak birds give 1/2 that amount every 2 days)
Panacure is same as Safeguard
Valbazen - same application as Safeguard, can kill some types of Tape worms

Tape worms - I use horse Zimertrican Gold. It contains prazquantol (sp) About a small pea size dollop in the mouth for 8 lb bird.

It is also a good idea to rotate wormers so worms have a harder time building up resistance to one type.

Last edited:
Woot! Worming info.
big_smile.png
And thank you Chicken_Pauper for that advice! I'll be buying Valbazen soon as I can, and hopefully my birds will look better, they look bad right now, no I don't think it's molting as most of them are a bit young to molt, I think it's worms. On top of that, they are all super-duper thin. Please excuse this silly question but what does a 'CC' mean? And when I worm will I find dead worms in their poop?

I've heard walnut hulls, soak them in their water and the walnut oil kills the worms? My great uncle (in his 80's) has told me, and my parents neighbors do that also, so I think we are gonna try it here and see how that goes

I tried the walnut hulls thing the other day too, just to see. Nope. No dead worms. Then the tapeworm segments/eggs, which were still alive and kicking when i saw them
sickbyc.gif
I had just fed them a ton of bannanas, since they hadn't had them in a while. I went to the local feed mill, and found "pancure" paste for horses, which has 10% fenbendazole for around $20, but we are flat broke for a while due to other emergencies. I have seen fenbendazole reccomended for tapes, but what kind of dose would be effective for this? I plan on doing the bread thing cause mine are super greedy for it. Until then, i'm just trying to buy time with the naturals. I am going to try again with the walnuts because i am wondering if that will help at all with their colds. Culling is not an option with me. These are pets, and other than these things are super happy and spunky.

Back
Top Bottom