Worming dogs

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
I have many dogs...we live ad midst an apple orchard with peafowl, Guineas, ducks, chickens and 10 dogs.
Is there a goat or horse wormer that can be given to the dogs to prevent or control worms?
Dosages too please ... The dogs range from a chihuahua, 3 poms 3 boo-shuns 2 bloodhounds and a peekapoo ... Several are rescue dogs ...
Just thought using a goat or horse wormer would save on cost as compared to a dog wormer for 10? .. Anyone?
Heard of Safeguard goat wormer but can't find in a paste so..?

I'm sorry, that would be awesome, but some livestock wormers are toxic to dogs, especially those with ivermectin. I read an article that said that if a dog got to a horse syrinage then, depending on the breed (collies I think were vary susceptible) they can have seizures and need hospital emergency care.

Some other types or livestock wormers may be safe, however.

For worms, I think Panacur would be reasonably safe and cheap wormer, but I would not use anything that isn't labeled for dogs. Ivermectin given in large doses can be toxic to any dog, and unfortunately, horse and goat paste is not really made well enough to know whether you gave them the right dose (it settles in the tube). I would not treat and collies, or herding type breeds (or anything with white feet really) with ivermectin.

For worms, I think Panacur would be reasonably safe and cheap wormer, but I would not use anything that isn't labeled for dogs. Ivermectin given in large doses can be toxic to any dog, and unfortunately, horse and goat paste is not really made well enough to know whether you gave them the right dose (it settles in the tube). I would not treat and collies, or herding type breeds (or anything with white feet really) with ivermectin.
What is the problem with dogs having white feet and ivermectin?

Both my dogs are white... I treat them with this drug every month... never had a problem... they are just small mix breed dogs.

The saying in the vet world is "white feet, don't treat" in reference to treating with ivermectin. I suppose because many of the herding breeds that experience toxicity tend to have white feet, therefore, mixes with white feet may also have the gene that leads to toxicity.

If you are treating with large doses of ivermectin (the dose in heartworm pills is too small to affect dogs that do express the gene for toxicity) then it is likely your dogs don't have the gene. There is a genetic test to determine whether a dog has the gene or not. Usually, the treatment for fleas and mites is very large and that's the one you have to be most careful with.

I personally wouldn't randomly worm my dogs without a fecal, the wormers from the vet are fairly cheap. Also heartworm preventive also is a dewormer.

Last edited:
Hi!
frow.gif
When dogs are around livestock and poultry and in multi dog households, it's good practice to de-worm every 6 months.
Most vets breeders, rescues, shelters and hobbyists use one of these. Safe for dogs, puppies, cats and kittens over 4 weeks.
The larger quantities are labeled for livestock but the active ingredient is very safe. Most use liquid for proper dosing.
Safeguard and Panacur have the same active ingredient, Fenbendazole. The 10% solution is quite safe for dogs, given at a dosage of 1cc per 5 lbs body weight once daily for 3 days.
Strongid or generic (Pyrantel Pamoate) 50mg/ml concentration is another very safe de-wormer. Also very cost effective. That dosage is 1cc/10 lbs body weight once, then repeat in 10 days.
When ordering, be sure of the concentration for proper dosage. I've put those in bold.

you can also add diatomacious earth to their daily diet to prevent worms. 2 1/2 years of negative fecals on the dogs and cat so far, even though the cat is indoor/outdoor and the dog tends to be a poop eater.

Back
Top Bottom