1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worming ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by huckaberry3, Oct 11, 2013.

1. huckaberry3

huckaberry3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Who worms their ducks? How much of what do I need to use? Also how long after worming do I have to wait before butchering them? I have read the storeys guide to raising ducks and it is pretty vague unless I missed it.

Thanks in advance.

Huck

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I worm my whole flock using Verm-X it's a natural wormer so I'd say if you use a natural wormer you can butcher anytime. Not sure but I think on the wormers[chemical] they give you the time to wait before butchering. Some use Safe-Guard which is a sheep wormer but I don't know the dosage.

3. huckaberry3

Jul 31, 2013
    Are the instructions on the bottle for ducks?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am not aware of a wormer that is made for water fowl, actually I think there is only one that is recc for chickens and that's Wazine, but a lot of people use other wormers for their water fowl. When I used Epernix Pour on which is used like front line for dogs, There was not a time for egg with drawl so I'd say it would be safe to use before butcher. I had to order it on line though couldn't find it local. Here's on link that may help... http://poultrykeeper.com/duck-keeping/worming-ducks and [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay found some info. Wormanator 24 hour withdrawl.

6. huckaberry3

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you Lydia. I am going to try and find some.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This was on my med chart I got from Twin City Poultry, Hopefully you'll be able to find it local.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by