Worming help

Calicorose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
I am just starting out with peafowl and am unsure about how to go about worming. They are moving outside in a few days and I would like to know what I need to worm them with. Also, what is a good regiment to get into with worming? I have read many differing opinions on when and how often to worm. Thanks!!

I use ivermec, 2 or 3 drops, for pheasants which I raise, grown peacocks maybe alittle more, my ground is very sandy I don't have problems with worms I worm 1 time a yr just to be safe

Somehow I missed this thread... According to studies I have read, the most effective wormer to use is Safeguard liquid or paste orally at 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days. That will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possible some tapeworms.

Studies show that Ivermectin is no longer an effective poultry wormer at the recommended doses.

-Kathy

I am just starting out with peafowl and am unsure about how to go about worming. They are moving outside in a few days and I would like to know what I need to worm them with. Also, what is a good regiment to get into with worming? I have read many differing opinions on when and how often to worm. Thanks!!
And you will continue to get different recommendations. The only recommendations I would ignore are the standard 3ml per gallon for days on the Safeguard. We use Valbazen and Safeguard. Search for caspotpony's many posts on dosage for the best available information on using Safeguard and you will not go wrong. I will warn you though that to be effective you must make sure you get the correct dosage into the bird. Using Safeguard in the water supply is tricky. Oral dosage is best but catching more than a few birds for five days straight is a chore.

We are becoming a much bigger fans of Valbazen as a single dose treatment orally. Valbazen is not as forgiving as Safeguard though.

I think Valbazen is a great choice, and a single dose at 0.08ml per pound will treat roundworms, cecal worms, a large percentage of capillary worms, maybe some species of tape worms, but I don't know if a single dose will treat gapeworms, though three days probably would. Repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Worming five days in a row is something I dread doing, lol.

-Kathy

So I still think that putting the wormer on bread cubes and feeding the correct number of treated bread cubes to each bird is fairly painless... But it's not like I have dozens of birds to treat, either. If I had a LOT of birds, I would definitely be looking to minimize doses
wink.png

I have them only about 2 months. I bought them as babies. They were only a couple of weeks old. I also have 4 guineas, and 22 chickens. I just want to make sure that I don't let them out of their coop to early. I have heard that I need to start worming them, once they are walking on the regular ground. Especially if they are with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom