Worming peacocks

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by hairco, Sep 8, 2014.

  1. hairco

    hairco Chillin' With My Peeps

    234
    2
    94
    Jan 7, 2013
    I know this has been ask so many times.I need to worm my peacocks and i have read that u have to go back on the 3rd day and do it again.Is there something i can use that i want have to do it twice because i have a lot and i don;t do the water thing.Thanks so much
     
  2. DylansMom

    DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

    3,742
    566
    248
    Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    What are you using to worm them? We use safeguard orally and we dose them once a day for 3 days in a row and then do it again 10 days later. We do it this way in the fall, and since we have to catch and hold them anyway we also clip nails and beaks at this time if needed. We are much lazier in the spring and put the safeguard in the water for 5 days and then repeat again 10 days later. I don't really know of any wormer that is effective when only administered 1 time.
     
  3. hairco

    hairco Chillin' With My Peeps

    234
    2
    94
    Jan 7, 2013
    If u do it every day how much saftgard do u give them? Mine are grown
     
  4. DylansMom

    DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

    3,742
    566
    248
    Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    We give the hens 1cc and the males get 1 & 1/3cc . That is what we give our adults.
     
  5. dheltzel

    dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

    4,182
    734
    261
    Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Is that with the Safegard Goat worming liquid (a white suspension) ?
     
  6. DylansMom

    DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

    3,742
    566
    248
    Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Yes, it's the goat drench 10% fenbendazole, white liquid.
     
  7. casportpony

    casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

    58,878
    16,355
    801
    Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The one day Safeguard goat/cattle liquid or Safeguard horse paste dose I use on large peahens is 2ml and on large cocks it's 3ml. Repeat in ten days.

    -Kathy
     
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. DylansMom

    DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

    3,742
    566
    248
    Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Does that actually work only doing it one day? I thought everyone said it had to be at least 3 days. [​IMG]
     
  9. casportpony

    casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

    58,878
    16,355
    801
    Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

    So sorry, my bad, I guess I should have been clearer, lol. That one day dose will treat roundworms and cecal worms, but will *not* treat gapes, tapes or capillary worms. If I suspect gapes or tapes I treat three days in a row, but if I suspect capillary worms, they get five days of worming.

    There was a study done that showed 70% of birds infected with capillary worms were successfully treat with one massive dose (twice what I give), but the other 30% required an additional 4-6 days (can't remember that part, lol). Will try to find that study.

    -Kathy
     
  10. DylansMom

    DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

    3,742
    566
    248
    Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Okay, that makes me feel better! Capillary worms are what concern me as they have been found in stool samples from my birds in the past. So I try to follow a regimen that will take care of them, I may just go to the 5 days this year. I think we had talked about that a while ago and you had told me 5 was better, so I was confused when you posted a one day dose. No need to post the study for my benefit, I'll take your word for it. [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by