WORMING with Fenbendazole - - How much?

Can anyone advise how much fenbendazole granules to use for pheasants? Its the same dewormer ive always used on my dogs so I'm familiar with the ingredient so when I saw posted on many forums that it was effective for pheasants I just ran out to get it neglecting to read the part that says liquid &/or paste form and those are the only forms I can find advice for on dosaging. I'm sure I can use the granules, right? The question tho is how much? Can I just do the math using standard conversion of ml to mg and dose that way? The only potential issue I see with that method is the fact that the liquid&paste are at 10% concentration (I think) where as the granules I have are 22.2% fenbendazole,which is 222 mg fenbendazole/g. Each box comes with 3 packets, each packet has 4g of granules in them. Pls advise dosage for pheasants being treated for gape worms. PLEASSSEEEE! I'm begging you..&you..&you..&you....everyone! Someone! Anyone?! I don't want to lose my red golden..timing is urgent! I thank you in advance
Your pheasants need 14 mg per pound of body weight orally for five consecutive days. Go get some liquid Safeguard and give 0.14 ml per pound five days in a row.

I know what it is, my suggestion is to return it and get the liquid for goats, the liquid is the most cost-effective way to de-worm, trust me, I've done the math on*all* forms of Safeguard, and granules are more expensive and *much* harder to use than liquid.

If you really want to use it you have to weigh him, then figure then give 14 mg per pound for five days.

Hey Rancher Hicks - - is it coffee time already ? ? ?
hugs.gif

It has been around for many years. It is the same medicine that is in either Safe-gaurd or Panacur. You can find it at most feed stores including Tractor Supply. It comes in paste, pellets, or liquid.

I tried the pellets, but the chickens didn't like it and they had to eat a lot of it. The liquid treatment is painless to the birds and me.

I think most wormers have a egg withdrawal period. Wazine is the only one who specifically says for chickens and prints their withdrawal period. For most wormers, including safegaurd, the withdrawal period is 10 - 14 days. I think the purpose of the withdrawal period is to prevent somebody from having an allergic reaction to any worming residue that might be passed on thru the eggs. SOME BYC folks ignore the withdrawal period because they do not sell eggs to the public. I, on the otherhand, have family members who are allergic to all kinds of strange things - - - so I honor the withdrawal periods.

It killed me to have to buy eggs yesterday for our own use !
hit.gif

OK eveybody else, remind me of how much of this stuff I need to put in their drinking water . . . . . .

the veterinary drug handbook says:

10-50 mg/kg, repeat in 10 days. do not use during molt (may cause stunted feathers) or while nesting.

This may be of limited help, but it's all I got.
I would strive for the 50mg/kg since it will be in the water , and I just tried to figure it out for you, for the water, but I am not having luck this early with my math. (I need the cheat sheet I have at work to get the right equation)

threehorses wrote this about fenbendazole a while back and I saved it for further use for myself:
Fenbendazole aka Safe-Guard. Panacur. Paste. Another good broad spectrum wormer with a high safety margin. Kills roundworms (adults), cecal worms, capillary worms, and gape worms. You can make a bb-sized piece of it and put into the beak. MSU says that you can use as follows:
-----http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html-------

1 oz Safeguard or Panacur per 15-20 lb feed

Dissolve the fenbendazole product in one cup of water. Mix this solution well into the feed and give to the birds as their only feed source for one day. When completely consumed, untreated feed can be given. Be sure that the commercial medication contains 10% fenbendazole.

Quote:
Thanks, I have written it on the bottle now. I searched all over the web last night and found a trillion things, but not what I was looking for. There were many instructions given for fenbendazole pellets. I tried the pellets once - - - could not convince my birds that they needed to eat them !

There were instructions for administering directly down the birds throat - - - but that is way to much work !

It doesn't help that the print is so tiny on the bottle that I can not read it either
gig.gif
gig.gif

ONCE again - thanks - - - I almost pm you directly to ask if you remembered the dosage
thumbsup.gif
I KNEW you would know!

Last edited:
I just got a pm from another BYC member who spoke to a poultry vet from her state.

He recommend a 2.25 ml dosage in a gallon of water for 3 days. Fenbendazole is a safe wormer that is very hard to overdose on. This being said, I think today I will start my birds on a 3 ml dosage and do the 3 day dosage.

My birds are going to be so mad! That means 3 days without free ranging. I don't plan on doing it a second time since I already did the wazine 11 days ago.

I like what briteday recommended - - - Shake, Shake, Shake your bottle - - you can do
Oh no, I think I just had a disco flash back
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I purposely postponed the worming til today, so that I can shake up the water every couple of hours , , , ,
Lordy, I think my girls are surrounded with
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif
and they don't even know it !

Thanks for all the help. . .

Quote:
Hey Rancher.

I did try the pellets once and there was NO WAY my birds were going to eat the recommended amount either.
The liquid dewormer works really well in the water - - - although it is thicker than the water. I am not sure if you can get the paste to dilute / mix well in the water.

I have found the easiest to use is 3 ml of the goat wormer fenbendazole per gallon of water. I repeated the dosage for 3 days and tossed eggs for the 10 days after the last day of worming. This is another version where you treat everyone in one day - - - but I think the 3 day dose would be more effective because it keeps the stuff in their system longer . . .

It is a gentle wormer that is very hard to overdose on. That is why I like it !

I have used the paste on BREAD and they have torn it up! My problem was I didn't know how to make sure everyone got the right amount. . . .

Do you two flocks share the same space? ? IF they don't share the same space - - - then sure you could do flock 1 Now and Flock 2 LATER. However, if they are sharing the same space - - - you should treat eveyone at the same time .

Hope this helps

Quote:
I don't think they are the same thing - - - but because their names are so similiar it means they are in the same family of drugs.

Wish they were the same thing - - - that egg withdrawal thing sucks - - - broke my heart to toss those eggs.
Couldn't even scramble them and feed them back to them !

However, around my house there were a lot of wildlife that got wormed during that time period. I tossed the eggs in my compost pile and the animals came and dugg them out. We didn't figure out how deep we had to dig the hole for the tossed eggs until about day 5 of tossing !

Back
Top Bottom