Worming with Wazine 17 and Ivermectin....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
I am new to worming my girls...I just wormed them with Wazine 17 today in their water...so do I now wait 10 days and then put Ivermectin (pour on kind) drops on them then wait another 2 weeks to start eating the eggs again?

Thanks

and no I have not seen worms in their poop but am doing it as a precautionary measure....

will the Ivermectin kill any lice or mites as well?

dwegg,
You don't have to worm or treat for parasites unless your chickens actually have parasites. To find out if your chickens have worms you can take a sample of their poop to a local vet and ask them to do a fecal check. Then depending on what kinds of worms your chickens have, you can get the right medicine. Maybe they don't have worms this season and you won't even need to worm them yet.

If you inspect your chickens carefully, you can see if you have lice or mites. Then you can decide to treat the with the Ivermectin or the powder. But don't treat them before you know that they do have a parasite because it is a great loss of eggs and an expense to buy the wormer also. Plus the exposure to some of the chemicals is not great for you or your chickens. God bless.

Thanks Chicken Grandma..but is it also dangerous if i don't treat for worms and they do have them? I want to do the best i can for my girls and have them as healthy as I can. They only eat organic feed (Countryside) and vegetables from our own organic gardens but if the girls need medication to keep them healthy then i will.

Will it hurt them to treat for these worms/parisites even if they don't have them?

dwegg,
It is not that the wormer will hurt your chickens but it is that you are going to have to guess
IF you hens have parasites and what TYPE of parasites your hens have. That is impossible to guess.
Even if you see a worm in the stool, your chickens may have more than one type of parasite at a time.
So please DO WORM if your chickens have worms. And please find out what type of internal parasites your chickens have, if any, before you guess at a wormer for them. Because then you will know what kind of parasites if any your chickens have and you will know that the wormer you buy will kill those specific parasites. There just isn't one medicine that will do it all. There are several good choices depending on the parasites a chicken may have.
God bless.

Quote:
There is one wormer that will kill them ALL....valbazen. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs since the initial dosing.

Quote:
There is one wormer that will kill them ALL....valbazen. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again in 10 days to kill larva hatched from eggs since the initial dosing.

Dawg, I don't believe that is true. If you consider cocci a parasite, then Valbazen is not the drug of choice. I don't see that Valbazen covers gapeworm either. There are just too many internal parasites for one wormer to do a complete job.

Here is what I read about Valbazen; 'kills adult liver flukes, stomach and intestinal worms, tapeworm and lung worm in cattle and sheep'. I would not mind using it if it was the drug of choice for the type of parasites my chickens had.

I would not count on Valbazen or any wormer to kill ALL parasites that my chickens might have. Therefore, I find out what the chickens have and make sure that the medicine I give them will work. And that just costs $13-20 bucks to find out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom