Worms, Coccidiosis, or am I over-mothering?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4EverOrp, Sep 26, 2018.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

None of those look normal to me.

KikisGirls likes this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Great! If you continue to see any odd poops you should redo the tests because false negatives do happen.

KikisGirls and WVduckchick like this.
  3. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Ok - so got the fecal testing done at Westgate Labs as promised. I collected a large selection of poops, particularly any that looked abnormal - mixed them and then filled the sample pot. Results today say "clear" no eggs found.
    To be honest, all looking much more normal now. Will monitor and get a retest if I notice anything odd again.
    Thanks for helping.

4. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Ok - so today I go down to the coop to have a general clear up.
    I'm embarrassed to say, the left over bag of poop I mixed for the fecal sample has been sitting on the shelf (my bad, I know) :oops:
    When I picked it up to discard the shelf underneath has fluid which has leaked from the bag and is literally crawling with something. :sick
    So are these worms after all, or maggots because I didn't clear up like I should have? 20181011_102126.jpg

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Almost certainly maggots although the photo is not very clear. Worms could not live and grow outside the chicken's body so even if there were eggs in the poop and the testing was incorrect, they could not grow into worms. Flies will have laid their eggs into the poop either before it was sampled or whilst it was in the bag and the larvae have hatched from those fly eggs and are living and growing by eating the poop.

6. 4EverOrp

4EverOrp Chirping

Sep 26, 2018
    Devon, UK
    Ok phew! Lesson learnt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: