Worms in chicken poop

Dros

Hatching
Dec 8, 2019
Vancouver Island BC Canada
Good afternoon,

I came across a problem today could use some help with.
Winter is here and I have been using the composting method in the coop for about a month and a half now, today after turning over a small section of bedding I looked at my shovel and saw a couple of small transparent worms. I have tried looking online for awhile now and have been unable to positively identify a species of worm. I will attach some photos and hopefully someone will be able to provide a proper identification.
If this is a parasitic worm, any information regarding possible treatment methods would also be much appreciated. Unfortunately where I live I have to go to the vet in order to get any type of medication. I am not usually a huge believer in natural supplements for livestock (haven't had much luck with them) but with the vet bill likely to be around 100$ for a few hens I would prefer to try something I wont need a prescription for. I have purchased some Verm X and started them on that this morning, it seems to have mixed reviews online but I am willing to more affordable solutions.
One thing to note is the birds were purchased from a hobby farm, I do not believe they were vaccinated, possible coccidiosis?

Thanks everyone for your time.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
- Americana
- 1 year
- One noticeably thinner than the others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
-Normal

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
-Weight loss maybe a week or so, also currently molting so difficult to assess.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
- No noticeable weight loss.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
- No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
- Unknown.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
- Regular store layer feed and water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
- One bird appeared to have a poop that looked almost gravel like yesterday, possible diarrhea today.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
- Started feeding Verm X pellets today.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
- Prefer to treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
- See attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
- Good sized coupe for amount of birds, nesting box has hay, the rest is covered in wood shavings.

Attachments

• 0EBBB966-55CA-4FD8-9797-895F15C48368.png
    0EBBB966-55CA-4FD8-9797-895F15C48368.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 2BC30A74-6C09-42FC-80E4-CD562580802E.png
    2BC30A74-6C09-42FC-80E4-CD562580802E.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
I had a few runny, gravelly lookin poops today, not sure what the cause of it is. I see it every so often. But today's poops were after the recommended 2 dose regimen of Safeguard goat dewormer, the 2nd dose of which I gave on Tuesday, so not sure worms are causing what you or I are seeing.

I had a few runny, gravelly lookin poops today, not sure what the cause of it is. I see it every so often. But today's poops were after the recommended 2 dose regimen of Safeguard goat dewormer, the 2nd dose of which I gave on Tuesday, so not sure worms are causing what you or I are seeing.
Then best not to give a wormer ;)

Back
Top Bottom