Worms or Coccidiosis?????

Ok, thank you I will look them up. Thanks for all the input everyone!! Illnesses are soo confusing!

Ok so the hole at the end of the birds tongue is where they breath, to the left is the crop, what is on the right side? Does that go down to the crop also? How soft is the tissue of the birds neck? If I put the tube in too fast will it rip through and make a hole in his neck? What is the mucous membrane? If the bird throws up, do I stop feeding for an hour then try again or stop for a minute then contiune? Sorry for the barrage of questions, they are what ran through my mind as I was reading. The pic of the white peacock with the syringe in his throat was extremely helpful. All the positive comments about how easy tube feeding is helps make me less hesitant to try it. I have heard a few stories of people drowning the animal they were tube feeding, even though they claimed to know how to do it. So I had little hope that I could be successful at it. I think we can get Kevin through this! All the support is wonderful! Thanks so much! He is currently sleeping on top of the little roosting box in our empty 'rooster coop'. We put him in the rooster coop because it is small and easier to catch him for medication in there rather than having to chase him down in the aviary. I think I'm going to roost for the night now also, it is a quarter to one and I'm going cross eyed. Night and thanks again for the help!

Ok so the hole at the end of the birds tongue is where they breath, to the left is the crop, what is on the right side? Does that go down to the crop also? How soft is the tissue of the birds neck? If I put the tube in too fast will it rip through and make a hole in his neck? What is the mucous membrane? If the bird throws up, do I stop feeding for an hour then try again or stop for a minute then contiune? Sorry for the barrage of questions, they are what ran through my mind as I was reading. The pic of the white peacock with the syringe in his throat was extremely helpful. All the positive comments about how easy tube feeding is helps make me less hesitant to try it. I have heard a few stories of people drowning the animal they were tube feeding, even though they claimed to know how to do it. So I had little hope that I could be successful at it. I think we can get Kevin through this! All the support is wonderful! Thanks so much! He is currently sleeping on top of the little roosting box in our empty 'rooster coop'. We put him in the rooster coop because it is small and easier to catch him for medication in there rather than having to chase him down in the aviary. I think I'm going to roost for the night now also, it is a quarter to one and I'm going cross eyed. Night and thanks again for the help!

It is very easy, but there are some things I need to explain to you *before* you try it. Stuff like modifying the tube so it's not sharp. To do that you need to melt the end of the tube a little with a lighter. You want that tube smooth enough that you could rub it on your gums or in your nose and not bleed.

Is there any way that you can call me, because it will be much easier for me to explain it on the phone.

-Kathy

Last edited:
It is very easy, but there are some things I need to explain to you *before* you try it. Stuff like modifying the tube so it's not sharp. To do that you need to melt the end of the tube a little with a lighter. You want that tube smooth enough that you could rub it on your gums or in your nose and not bleed.

Is there any way that you can call me, because it will be much easier for me to explain it on the phone.

-Kathy

Kathy you are a nice person, I just thought I'd let you know what I was thinking.

Shelley...I wish you the best of luck!

Stretching the birds neck while inserting the tube also helps it go down. If you ever overflow liquids hold the birds head down so it will flow out and not go down the airway. We have had to hold the bird inverted before with good results.

Thank you everyone for your input and support!! This morning Kevin is looking better, his wings aren't droopy, he has a shine in his eye, his feathers are tighter, and he wants out of the coop!! Hurray!!

How many days on the Meds is that? 2-3?
That's what I saw with Safeguarding mine, 2nd to 3rd day they really perked up and by day 5 trying to catch and hold him to get the Safeguard in was a bit of a challenge, I had to do the catching and hold because he was much quicker and resisted getting wrapped in the towel.

just remember to do the 2nd round 10 days later.
Glad too hear

gary

@shelleyshennies , would be best to get him to a vet, but if that is not an option you should probably treat for worms, coccidiosis, blackhead, enteritis, and possibly E. coli. You will also need to learn how to tube fluids if he isn't drinking on his own.

Safeguard for worms - 0.23 ml per pound orally for five days
Corid or AmprMed (amprolium) for coccidiosis - let me know if you can get powder or liquid and I'll calculate a dose for you.
Metronidazole (FishZole) for blackhead and enteritis - 11 mg per pound orally twice a day for no less than 5 days
Baytril for E. coli - 4.5 mg per pound for 3-5 days

Fluids via tube - 10-15 ml per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has cleared, then again in 2-4 hours.
Tube Feeding Links

-Kathy

Hi Kathy, I need to do a good worming on my birds, and though I've done the Safe-Guard in water thing, I'm not convinced it works at all. I would like to inject Blueberries with the exact doses of SafeGuard and feed them to the birds individually. I've done this in the past with other medications and I feel like I have much greater control. Will these same dosages apply to chickens as well as peacocks? or do you have an easier breakdown of dosing for smaller weights? Thanks, Molly

@shelleyshennies , would be best to get him to a vet, but if that is not an option you should probably treat for worms, coccidiosis, blackhead, enteritis, and possibly E. coli. You will also need to learn how to tube fluids if he isn't drinking on his own. Safeguard for worms - 0.23 ml per pound orally for five days Corid or AmprMed (amprolium) for coccidiosis - let me know if you can get powder or liquid and I'll calculate a dose for you. Metronidazole (FishZole) for blackhead and enteritis - 11 mg per pound orally twice a day for no less than 5 days Baytril for E. coli - 4.5 mg per pound for 3-5 days Fluids via tube - 10-15 ml per pound, repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has cleared, then again in 2-4 hours.
Tube Feeding Links

[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] -Kathy
Hi Kathy, I need to do a good worming on my birds, and though I've done the Safe-Guard in water thing, I'm not convinced it works at all. I would like to inject Blueberries with the exact doses of SafeGuard and feed them to the birds individually. I've done this in the past with other medications and I feel like I have much greater control. Will these same dosages apply to chickens as well as peacocks? or do you have an easier breakdown of dosing for smaller weights? Thanks, Molly
Do you know how much they weigh? -Kathy

Back
Top Bottom