Worms or maggots in poop

Jen73

Hatching
Mar 13, 2015
Today I went out to clean my coop and noticed worms in only one of my chicken's poop. The worms looked like small earthworms. They were about 1/2 the width of a normal earthworm and I would say less than an 1" long. Just wondering if anyone knows what type of worm this could be or if it could've been maggots since We've been getting a lot of flys lately.

Thanks

It's possible they were round worms...

^^ These are what roundworms look like. This is from my own coop.

If they ARE roundworms, I would recommend getting some Valbazen liquid goat wormer and giving each chicken 1/2cc (for standard size) or 1/4cc (for bantams) orally using a syringe without a needle. Aim for the back left to miss the trachea (breathing tube).

Repeat again in 10 days. :) This is what I did to clear up my worm burden in my birds. A chicken with worms can appear lethargic, skinny, and hunched.

I'd also do a check for lice and mites and dust everyone with Sevin if needed!

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Today I went out to clean my coop and noticed worms in only one of my chicken's poop. The worms looked like small earthworms. They were about 1/2 the width of a normal earthworm and I would say less than an 1" long. Just wondering if anyone knows what type of worm this could be or if it could've been maggots since We've been getting a lot of flys lately.

Thanks

Maggots.

is safe guard for goats the same thing as Valbazen?
my bantams have roundworms. 😥

If they ARE roundworms, I would recommend getting some Valbazen liquid goat wormer and giving each chicken 1/2cc (for standard size) or 1/4cc (for bantams) orally using a syringe without a needle. Aim for the back left to miss the trachea (breathing tube).

Repeat again in 10 days. :) This is what I did to clear up my worm burden in my birds. A chicken with worms can appear lethargic, skinny, and hunched.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Attachments

• D6880BF7-1F0A-4C04-AD08-C6BA8CBAA1A4.jpeg
    D6880BF7-1F0A-4C04-AD08-C6BA8CBAA1A4.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 20
Vabazen is albendazole, while SafeGuard is fenbendazole. Both are good for worming chickens. SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound given once orally and again in 10 days for round worms, and given for 5 consecutive days to treat roundworms, capillary, and gapeworms.

Keep us posted!

MrsB
MrsB - I use the deep liter method and believe my hens were sold to me with round worm. Will I need to remove all the shavings, clean and replace with new shavings? Do I need to treat their outside "playground" (a 30x30 fenced in area)?

Back
Top Bottom