Worms. Ugh! What do I do?

JillAndMaya

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2017
wormy chicken poop.jpg My daughter found this wormy poop on top of the nest boxes, so we know it didn't come from one of our ducks. It must be one of the chickens. What do we do?

Get some worm medicine.
I'd recommend Valbazen and treat the entire flock with it.
I see it is off label for chickens. How much do you give each bird and how often and for how long? Can/should I give it to my ducks which are housed with the chickens? Have you ever used piperazine? I can get it in a much smaller bottle and much cheaper cost.

Last edited:
Most of the chemical wormers are going to be off label for chickens.
Here is an article on worms and worming for learning and information : https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens.66969/
You are going to find different dosing opinions in lots of threads here, below are the doses I use.
Valbazen (albendazole) is a very good and effective wormer, and the dose is smaller, but it may be harder to find, some have to mail order it.
Dosing is by weight - weight of bird in lbs / 2.2 x 20mg / 113.6, so for a 6 lb bird it would be .48 ml and I would round to .5 ml, and given orally. For roundworms I dose twice, 10 days apart. The recommended egg withdrawl is 14 days following dose, so for two doses 10 days apart withdrawl would be 24 days total.
You can also use Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole), but it's not recommended during molt. I've heard it can do feather damage to growing feathers if used during molt. Safeguard dosing is different (larger amount) but may be easier to find. Dosing is .23ml per pound, I also do two doses 10 days apart, also given orally. Same egg withdrawl recommendation.
Wazine (piperazine) will also kill roundworms and only roundworms (the other two are broad spectrum and will work on most common worms) and I don't like it as a first time wormer because of the way it kills worms. The first two work slower and there is less risk of overwhelming the bird or causing a blockage. Wazine kills all at once and if your bird is carrying a heavy load of worms it can increase the risk of overwhelming her system with the massive die-off or cause a blockage. Just my 2 cents on that one. It has the same egg withdrawl. My understanding is that wazine is approved for poultry except in hens used for egg production.
Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom