WORMS week old chicks??

chickmamat

Songster
Apr 3, 2018
California Desert
I have chicks that are exactly a week old and I just found this incredibly long poop, but it’s def connected by some sort of string or something. I’ve read other posts about instestinal lining but it’s about 6-7” long…which seems to long to be lining or a worm in such a tiny chick? they have not been exposed to anything outside. As you can see I use puppy pads in their brooder.

A4334D2D-4705-4195-8E89-A23482E4D822.jpeg
D5EB6E03-22F4-4EF9-BBF5-810271D2B2F4.jpeg
938656B4-D506-4956-9498-27B7B8D87685.jpeg

Are your chicks from a hatchery or breeder?
That isn't intestinal lining but sure I don't think it's a worm. Are they all pooping like that or is it one chick? Is this how they all poop? Very interesting and I'm waiting to see what others have to say.

@azygous
@casportpony
@Eggcessive
@Kiki
@Wyorp Rock
Thank you all in advance :hugs
Hatchery? From a local feed store. I can’t pinpoint which one it is, I have yet to catch them in the act. There are only three though… two have had pasty butt that I have had to wash off twice because it was blocking their vent. 1 of these two seems more docile than the other two…. Still eating and drinking but she sleeps more and doesn’t seem as strong.

Do you or others who are caring for the chicks have long hair? Have you or others been holding a chick when it pecked at your hair? Because that's what this appears to be, a hair that a chick swallowed and it went through its system because hair cannot be digested.

To verify what this is, wash it first to remove the gooey stuff surrounding it. If it dissolves completely, it's just poop as @Eggcessive suggests. If the thing is solid and has segments, it's a worm, which is highly unlikely in a week-old chick. If it's a hair, washing will reveal it.

If it turns out to be a hair, this is potentially deadly for chicks. A hair can cause a blockage in the intestines or even get wrapped around the tongue. Be careful no one is leaning over the brooder and a chick snatches a hair.

Do you or others who are caring for the chicks have long hair? Have you or others been holding a chick when it pecked at your hair? Because that's what this appears to be, a hair that a chick swallowed and it went through its system because hair cannot be digested.

To verify what this is, wash it first to remove the gooey stuff surrounding it. If it dissolves completely, it's just poop as @Eggcessive suggests. If the thing is solid and has segments, it's a worm, which is highly unlikely in a week-old chick. If it's a hair, washing will reveal it.

If it turns out to be a hair, this is potentially deadly for chicks. A hair can cause a blockage in the intestines or even get wrapped around the tongue. Be careful no one is leaning over the brooder and a chick snatches a hair.
It is definitely not hair. Hopefully just poop. Thank you everyone!

You can try some ACV (apple cider vinegar with the "mother") in their water for pasty butt, 1tsp per gallon, has helped me. Pasty butt or yucky poop can be caused by too warm a brooder also. Check the temp in your brooder.

Back
Top Bottom