Worms?

Chikkin4life

Songster
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
I have a chicken, 9 months old, and she recently lost a lot of feathers, lost weight, and her comb is so pale it isn't red anymore! HELP!

I have a chicken, 9 months old, and she recently lost a lot of feathers, lost weight, and her comb is so pale it isn't red anymore! HELP!
Can you post some photos of her?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
How much weight has she lost? Do you weigh her regularly?

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight, feel her abdomen for any bloat/fluid and look her over for lice/mites.

Loss of condition can be from a number of things from parasites and nutrition to disease or infection. Getting a fecal float, if possible, can confirm/deny worms and what type.
If that is not possible, then you can treat with a broad spectrum de-wormer like Fenbendazole (Safeguard liquid goat wormer) at .23ml per pound of weight for 5 days.
Valbazen can also be used at 1/2ml, then repeat in 10days.

Thanks, I will try to post a picture. I do not weigh her but you can see that she visibly lost weight

IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 1
The first one is her vs her sister and the others are just her. Look at her comb! AHHHHHH!

We feed her laying mash because our others are getting to that age and we have tried doing separate foods but it doesn't work so we just do all the same.

Is she laying?

If you don't have vet care, then I would probably worm her to see if that helps. Watch to see that she's getting to eat and not being bullied from the feeder(s).
I would still check the crop at night to see if it's full, then first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks anything to make sure it's empty - just to rule out a crop problem.

Back
Top Bottom