Worms?

HollyParks

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
What are these? What type? I’m getting ready to worm my flock. It’s been a rough week. My flock all seems healthy, laying well, red combs, etc.

This was in their water cups. The only way that could have gotten there is from droppings since they jump up there often. Could be from wild bird or from chickens. I’m looking into the dewormer now but I want to know if it’s necessary.

Attachments

• 3AFDCE46-57C3-4F60-9FA3-1AB5381E5478.jpeg
    3AFDCE46-57C3-4F60-9FA3-1AB5381E5478.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 45
This was in their water cups. The only way that could have gotten there is from droppings since they jump up there often.
The only worms (species) that can be SEEN in dropping are large round worm species and tapeworms.., all others only their microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass. That's clearly not tape worms which look more similar to maggots or rice segment

The other option.. commonly seen on containers like bucket lids around my place.. if it didn't come from droppings is a standard earth worm/red wiggler type that crawled outta the ground to get away from the rain but landed where there was no exit or possible escape and drown. But if you've never seen that before.. your first assumption would *probably* be the one I would go with.

I would put a cone or something to prevent pooping in water.. it's a really fast way to spread things.

The only worms (species) that can be SEEN in dropping are large round worm species and tapeworms.., all others only their microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass. That's clearly not tape worms which look more similar to maggots or rice segment

The other option.. commonly seen on containers like bucket lids around my place.. if it didn't come from droppings is a standard earth worm/red wiggler type that crawled outta the ground to get away from the rain but landed where there was no exit or possible escape and drown. But if you've never seen that before.. your first assumption would *probably* be the one I would go with.

I would put a cone or something to prevent pooping in water.. it's a really fast way to spread things.
Right, so was thinking more along the lines of roundworm too, but I don’t see any in droppings in or around the coop. It had been a couple of weeks of on-off rain. The issue is I had the water suspended, not directly on the ground 😬

Right, so was thinking more along the lines of roundworm too, but I don’t see any in droppings in or around the coop. It had been a couple of weeks of on-off rain. The issue is I had the water suspended, not directly on the ground 😬
They can be passed intermittently.. making fecal floats not always accurate. Some folks will use load count to determine "need". To me any visual confirmation is load enough to prefer treatment.. but if it wasn't currently effecting laying, etc.. then I *might* plan ahead for a lower production time of year to treat since egg withdrawal is recommended for most non herbal, commercial treatments. Most home producers won;t notice the reduction in laying it *may* cause.. to the tune of 10% according to my research.. in other words if you got 9 eggs verses 10.. Some individuals within a group may be carrying the bulk of the parasites.. genetics, forage & bathing habits, etc vary by individual.

Some folks swear by mollys herbals.. I've not seen anyone post before and after counts.. as have been done with proven chemical choices.

Being suspended off the ground does seem to make crawling in less likely.. especially for more than one as seen in pic.. while they may be found in groups under items.. I've not seen them travel in groups YET..

They can be passed intermittently.. making fecal floats not always accurate. Some folks will use load count to determine "need". To me any visual confirmation is load enough to prefer treatment.. but if it wasn't currently effecting laying, etc.. then I *might* plan ahead for a lower production time of year to treat since egg withdrawal is recommended for most non herbal, commercial treatments. Most home producers won;t notice the reduction in laying it *may* cause.. to the tune of 10% according to my research.. in other words if you got 9 eggs verses 10.. Some individuals within a group may be carrying the bulk of the parasites.. genetics, forage & bathing habits, etc vary by individual.

Some folks swear by mollys herbals.. I've not seen anyone post before and after counts.. as have been done with proven chemical choices.

Being suspended off the ground does seem to make crawling in less likely.. especially for more than one as seen in pic.. while they may be found in groups under items.. I've not seen them travel in groups YET..
I have some medication ready to go. I just want to make sure they’ll be alight to dose: I have no idea how many of them have worms, but I know at least on of them does. I change the water every couple of days because they get up on there and poop (sometimes on the water). It would seem the worms were “dropped” in there either by wild birds (also likely) or by my flock (most likely).

Back
Top Bottom