worried about BOTULISM: Duck swam in Dirty Water (with dead animals). Help

graypes

Songster
Jun 19, 2020
SO my pool cover partially blew off ( I guess today) and I came out around 4 to my female ducks alarm quacks. Sure enough her boo, the drake, was down in the 4" of nasty nasty water. There were live toads and what looked like bug larvae (the red kind) and then... DEAD DECOMPOSING MOLES..... I hopped underneath the pool cover and grabbed him (while stepping on the dry steps so myself didn't have to wade in it). I have no idea how long he was down there but knowing ducks, he undoubtedly drank that water.

I am concerned about him getting Botulism or leptospirosis. I now have him quarantined from his GF and the babies but I don't know what I can do to prevent anything. I already hosed him off... Should I call the vet and see if they'll write me a preventative course of antibiotics??? I hate to say I have a favorite, but he's it and I just can't bear to lose him (he isn't even a year old)

please if anyone has advice I'd love to hear it!!!!

Here’s a link for the dosage for charcoal flushes, in addition to other kinds of flushes. I found that in this thread, which you might find helpful.

I will say—if I were in your position, I would probably wait before administering charcoal or doing anything else. There is still a good chance that your duck is and will be fine. How many hours ago did this happen? How’s he looking now?

I'm sorry - that is stressful! How many dead moles? My ducks have a little pool in their enclosure, much deeper water, but occasionally a mouse gets in there and drowns and I don't find it for a day or so. They drink that water and I've never had an issue. I'm not a good resource on the activated charcoal, but I would think it's fine not to separate him - it might cause extra stress for him.

Here’s a link for the dosage for charcoal flushes, in addition to other kinds of flushes. I found that in this thread, which you might find helpful.

I will say—if I were in your position, I would probably wait before administering charcoal or doing anything else. There is still a good chance that your duck is and will be fine. How many hours ago did this happen? How’s he looking now?
He seems fine but it JUST happened like 3-4 hours ago so idk how long bacteria or toxins need to start affecting?

Back
Top Bottom