Worried about my ducklings...

Apr 30, 2021
So I bought 2 ducklings about a week ago and I’m worried I’m not looking after them properly. At the beginning it was too cold for them outside so i made them a makeshift pen (about 1.5m x 0.75m) and placed it in my living room as it was properly heated. They had enough room to run around and everything and at night they slept in a cage on a towel in which they could comfortably eat and drink of they wanted to but there isnt room to walk around. I fed them corn and rice and sometimes some chopped greens and everything was going great.

Now that the weather started heating up, I put them outside in their cage so they can get some open air and sunlight. As much as I want to, I cant release them in my garden and let them roam freely because there are many cats around that come and go.

I started noticing that they looked pretty dirty and damp and I realized that they probably need to bath more often so
What I do now is that I place them in a shallow pan in the tub as I clean their cage and pen and then I put them in the cage outside to dry and preen.

Now what’s concerning me is that I’ve noticed a few balding spots on their head and back and I read online that it might be related to a poor diet or parasites. I don’t have access to any vets, medication, or dietary goods that I might have to purchase from outside. Can someone please give me some advise if I’m doing something wrong? Thanks!

This is my first round with ducks but you need a duckling crumble starter (I’m using MannaPro), grit, nutritional yeast that‘s put in food, 1 TBS per cup.ANd/OR Flush Free Niacin, which you put in water. 100mg per gallon.I do let my ducklings bath daily, while I clean their pin daily.

Feeding canned or thawed peas, with some grit will help with the Niacin (which is Vitamin B) a little.

It doesn't sound like they're getting any protein.

all your needs can be purchased online. Im an hour from the closest Feed Store or Tractor Supply, so I order off Amazon and it arrives at my doorstep.

Last edited:
I'm with the above posters. Your ducklings need a commercially prepared complete diet for ducklings, or all flock raiser, to be healthy. If they eat anything aside from that they need chick grit. They also need water deep enough to submerge their entire heads.

Depending on their age they need heat, more than your living room temperature. Most people provide a heat lamp. Also depending on their age they should not be allowed to play in the water all day, only for brief periods in slightly warm water and then be dried off afterward.

Back
Top Bottom