Worried duck mom

I have a pekin drake and he has had a limp for over a year now
my husband feels as if every winter he seems to get worse
Maybe I missed it, but how old is this bird now?

Oh, and ....Welcome to BYC! @Duckmom22
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-21_12-1-20.png

He may not ever walk good again but that doesn’t me we don’t try. If he have a niacin def or an injury that didn’t heal right giving him every chance may help him have a better life. If he’s eating and isnt acting like he’s given up on life then I’d give this a try for at least a month if by then you don’t seen marked improvement and he just looks to be going down hill then you may want to consider something else like putting him down. Only you can make that decision. I have a Muscovy female who is over 12 yrs old pretty sure she has arthritis in her one hip she walks with a limp and doesn’t move around a lot but I can tell by watching her she has by no means given up.

Maybe I missed it, but how old is this bird now?

Oh, and ....Welcome to BYC! @Duckmom22
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1963970
I am located in Nj .he is 3 yrs I apologize for not updating my profile correctly.. yes you are right the cold weather isn’t good for him

Last edited:
He may not ever walk good again but that doesn’t me we don’t try. If he have a niacin def or an injury that didn’t heal right giving him every chance may help him have a better life. If he’s eating and isnt acting like he’s given up on life then I’d give this a try for at least a month if by then you don’t seen marked improvement and he just looks to be going down hill then you may want to consider something else like putting him down. Only you can make that decision. I have a Muscovy female who is over 12 yrs old pretty sure she has arthritis in her one hip she walks with a limp and doesn’t move around a lot but I can tell by watching her she has by no means given up.

Thank you for your thoroughness .. as you may be able to tell ..I will never ever give up on him he’s very special to me and our animals are family members :) .. were committed to getting him feeling good.. I just want him to be comfortable and happy. I really appreciate all of everyone’s help. I will follow him closely and keep working hard to help him feel good again:)

Hey everyone Yesterday I gave him liquid b complex and also he had a dose of his pain/anti inflammatory medicine yesterday.. this morning I swear he looks better! He still lays a lot but attempts walking more and just overall happier! I gave him another dose of the med just to give him a good start (then I will use it sparingly as it’s not good everyday I heard?) and I gave him some more b complex today with peas as a treAt.. so happy to see my boy looking happier.. and thank all of my wonderful fairy duck moms out there for the support

Miss Lydia I was wondering if you knew anything about the prescription Rovera.. my duck was prescribed it and I gave it so far this is the third day.. my vet said he wouldn’t give it everyday.. but my duck looks so much better.. have you ever given a duck medicine consistently for pain? He is swimming and looking great with it .. thank you

Back
Top Bottom