Worried that 'Rosie the Hen' is a roo! (Partridge PR)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scanaday, Oct 3, 2010.

1. scanaday

scanaday New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    We purchased 6 chicks back in the first of May. That makes them 22 weeks old or about five months. There have been no eggs yet. They were all Plymouth Rocks, 2 'red'(partridge) 2 white, and 2 barred. We got them from 'mypetchicken.com'. One of the red's died in less than 24 hours, and we replaced her with an aracona from the local feed store that was approximately (within a few days) the same age. The 'red' is the bird in question. She is bigger and definitely the 'top bird' of the flock. This morning, when my daughter and husband went out to 'let them out' for the day, they thought they heard 'a crowing like sound' (actually my daughter heard it from her bedroom, before she went out). But we have peacocks in the neighborhood, though not terribly close-by, so it's hard to tell. We have been suspicious of her sex for several weeks, due to 'her' size and plumage, but are just unsure. I'll try to get some pictures posted here in a bit. I'm a newby, and am not famous for being good at posting pictures. wish me luck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] this is Sparrow (aracona -sp?), we love her 'cheek plumage' thought this picture showed it really well'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are also a tad concerned about the larger of the two barred's we got, mostly just because of the size difference between them. The larger one (that we are concerned about) is in the foreground there, on the second shot.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. devin0

devin0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Fogo Island, NL
    i'm guessing it's a roo based on the size, comb/wattles and tail. The neck plumage looks roo-ish, too.

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Roo you can tell by the tail feathers..

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep, you have a roo.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, rooster.

6. scanaday

scanaday New Egg

Oct 3, 2010
    When I went out to shoot the pictures this morning, all doubt was removed, 'she' had not had those extra tail feathers the last time I looked at 'her'. Bother. The kids love her so. We have to find a home for 'her' where they will NOT eat 'her'!!!

7. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Yes the red one is a rooster &
    the barred looks to be a hen.

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, have to agree... The "red" is a roo and the barred a pullet. Sparrow is an Easter Egger pullet. A lot of hatcheries (and feed stores) sell Easter Eggers as Araucana or Ameraucana. Easter Eggers are a result of a cross between Araucana or Ameraucana and another breed of chicken. The name Easter Egger just means that they have the potential to lay "colored" eggs (blue, green, pink, brown, etc). They are very pretty birds that come in a rainbow of colors just like their eggs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  9. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    My Rosie turned out to be Ralph. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by