Worried this type of sand may cause impaction in chicks

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
Using this heavy sand with lots of small shells, stones, etc. .can this clause impaction in baby chicks in brooder? In the past the sand I used was not play sand, but it was quite dusty anyway. I live inFlorida and this is just sand from the yard. Thanks!

Attachments

• 116B98BC-7DCE-4AE6-89F2-56D30456AF1E.jpeg
    116B98BC-7DCE-4AE6-89F2-56D30456AF1E.jpeg
    964.2 KB · Views: 53
That sand looks great to me! — Looks just like mine; I haven’t had any issues with it for the past 2yrs thus far. I’ve had chicks at 3-4 weeks of age out there on it as well…
👍🏼♥️💯

PS: Little trick that I like to do — I use a Weed-Burner to sanitize the Sand about every 5-6 months. I also find that I need to top off with fresh Sand about every 6 months as well. But that’s my own environment; you’ll find your own schedule… Good Luck!! 🍀

That sand looks great to me! — Looks just like mine; I haven’t had any issues with it for the past 2yrs thus far. I’ve had chicks at 3-4 weeks of age out there on it as well…
👍🏼♥️💯

PS: Little trick that I like to do — I use a Weed-Burner to sanitize the Sand about every 5-6 months. I also find that I need to top off with fresh Sand about every 6 months as well. But that’s my own environment; you’ll find your own schedule… Good Luck!!
A weed burner that’s interesting. What a good idea. I do replace the sand in the coopEvery eight months or so. I have to wait for my son to come and visit, and then I put him to work!That burner in the chicken yard sounds really good. I pick it up several times a day but I know it’s soaks in. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom