Worry Free Water and Feeding system

lkelly02

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
I thought I posted this before but I must of deleted it. Like most people are doing now days I've constructed a water and feeding system so I dont worry about my hens when I'm at work or away for the weekend. I have a small flock of 5 and my setup so far has worked perfect. I've made a couple of modifications to the water system since this picture was taken. I added 2 shutoff valves one below the 5 gallon bucket and before the nipples so can shut the water off if I need to replace a nipple. There is also a shutoff valve at the end to completly drain the system to replensish with fresh water and to wipe down the water bucket. I wrapped foam insulation around the pipes to help keep the water cool in the summer and from freezing in the winter. I keep frozen 2 litter water bottles in the freezer and when the weather gets really hot I just drop the bottle inside the 5 gallon bucket to keep the water cool.

I installed 2 feeders that both hold about 5lbs of feed each. I used a drain cap and cut a piece of 3/4 pvc for the handle to make a cover for the feeder. This keeps the rodents out of the feed after hours.

My chickens are adults not so I have removed the stepping stones you see them standing on to reach the water. I have a flock of 5 and during the cool weather I have to refill every 7 to 10 days. During the summer months I refill the tank about every 4 to 5 days.

If you would like more details about the setup feel free to contact me.

Lance

Thanks for sharing. I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity of chicken people! So many invenitve people on this site.I have a 50 gal barrel but I think I will put some liter bottles of water in my freezer in anticipation of those hot summers.

Last edited:
Neat idea for the feeder. Did you drill holes in the bottom of the feeder to let the rain water drain out. Not sure where you live, but around here it would have standing water in it a lot of the year. It is a great idea and one that I believe I will borrow from you.

I'm still trying to pull together all the stuff I need to set up my water system. I plan on collecting the rain water from the top of my coop (10x12) in a 300 gallon plastic tote (food grade) and plumbing it inside and outside the coop with some 1/2' pvc and a dozen or so chicken nipples. Good idea on the cut off and drain, that will get incorerated as well.

Neat idea for the feeder. Did you drill holes in the bottom of the feeder to let the rain water drain out. Not sure where you live, but around here it would have standing water in it a lot of the year. It is a great idea and one that I believe I will borrow from you.

I'm still trying to pull together all the stuff I need to set up my water system. I plan on collecting the rain water from the top of my coop (10x12) in a 300 gallon plastic tote (food grade) and plumbing it inside and outside the coop with some 1/2' pvc and a dozen or so chicken nipples. Good idea on the cut off and drain, that will get incorerated as well.
I was initially going to do that but decided I did not want rain water washing the bird poop off my roof and down into my chickens water reservoir. That might be too anal, but I just want to be careful. They will have coccidiosis in their gut anyway, but I don't need to introduce wild bird coccidiosis through the water. I now have a closed lid on my 55 gallon drum and will fill it with a water hose. Just thought I'd share.

Do chickens need cold water in the summer? Just wondering
If it's really hot outside, putting a liter bottle of frozen water into their water reservoir will cool off their water. I think the cold water helps to cool them when the weather is really hot, much they same way we enjoy a cool drink in the heat of summer.

I'm glad you posted this, we were going to design a watering system by collecting water off our coop roof... I did not even think of the water being contaminated by other birds. I like the idea of filling up a drum for the water supply instead. Thank you for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom