Worsening leg problem

You def want to stop her from walking on the bottom top of her foot folded over. You took her to the vet they did Xrays? didn't find anything going on? I can't imagine that not being painful.

can you take her back in for another Xray?

In the mean time I would make her a shoe you can use a piece of plastic cut to shape of her foot wrap in tape to cover sharp edges. Then lay her foot flat out on it and use vet wrap to wrap the foot to the shoe go up past her ankle for support making sure not to wrap to tight that will cut off circulation. It looks like she may have injured it or it was broken . But only a vet can say for sure. Plus the vet can get you something for inflammation and pain. It may cost quite a bit to find out for sure but you don't want her to keep using her foot like that.
Great idea! I will see what I have that I can use for a "shoe". Wishing I still worked in the ED for casting and splinting materials . I will figure something out while I try to find another vet. Thanks!!

It is sores...they showed up a few days ago ,. I don't have any video from before unfortunately. I will take her to the vet again. Unfortunately he was the only one in the county that deals with birds but I will look in neighboring counties and see what I can find. Thanks!

:( poor thing. Maybe you could do the epsom salt soaks that I've seen recommended for bumble foot. Might give her some relief if there's any swelling in her joints etc too and help take some weight off the leg, whilst helping to stop the sores getting any worse.

I wonder if you could find an understanding agricultural vet any easier than a bird vet, if they aren't the same thing. They would have the expertise but would need to understand and sympathize with this being a pet duck and not considered livestock.

:( poor thing. Maybe you could do the epsom salt soaks that I've seen recommended for bumble foot. Might give her some relief if there's any swelling in her joints etc too and help take some weight off the leg, whilst helping to stop the sores getting any worse.

I wonder if you could find an understanding agricultural vet any easier than a bird vet, if they aren't the same thing. They would have the expertise but would need to understand and sympathize with this being a pet duck and not considered livestock.
I'm way ahead of ya with the Epsom salt- she is in the bathtub with it now while we speak. Trying to keep her from drinking it though. Don' t know if it's a laxative to ducks as with people. She's happily swimming around right now .
I live in Lancaster county pa...plenty of agriculture vets around because of the amish..never thought about them before but I will call around. Thanks for the reply and help!

Back
Top Bottom