Worst Case Scenario/Foul Pox and Mites

Harli50

Songster
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Utah
We just had a chicken just drop dead this morning for no reason. I have done some research on Foul Pox and we found out we have the pox and we have a pretty bad case of mites. I'm just wondering what did the poor chick die from? She had one of the less severe cases of the pox and we didn't find any mites on her, some of our roosters are COVERED in the giant pox and are doing alright. We've dusted our chickens before fair and we think we got the pox and mites AGAIN from the fair. Whats the worst the mites could do? Also I bought some DE and was wondering how to use it to get rid of the mites. (The store wasn't clear with the how)
Thank you, Harli.

Sorry to say but mites wil kill a chicken and DE will not be effective in treating an infestation. You need to purchase Sevin or Permethryn to treat the chickens, their housing and nesting boxes, you can dust the chickens and their coop, change all bedding too. once treated repeat in 7 - 10 days to ensure you rid all of any hatching mites.

Chickens can drop dead suddenly for many different reasons. If one has chickens for any length of time it will probably happen. Heart attacks, weak organs, what have you. Most diseases will have symptoms. Pox can show up anywhere there are mosquitoes. There is a vaccine available for birds that haven't been exposed. Sevin dust works very well on mites and lice.

I had a couple with mild pox go off their feed and starve to death before I could get them caught and treated.

-Kathy

I think my little flock of 4 has dry foul pox. I'm so inexperienced raising chickens. I feel so bad, like I didn't do right by them. I thought the scabs were from the rooster. He doesn't have any scabs at all. After reading up, I think it's the dry pox. I don't know what to do for them it explains why they are eating less. I haven't filled the gravity feeder in a while. They used eat like crazy. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

I think my little flock of 4 has dry foul pox. I'm so inexperienced raising chickens. I feel so bad, like I didn't do right by them. I thought the scabs were from the rooster. He doesn't have any scabs at all. After reading up, I think it's the dry pox. I don't know what to do for them it explains why they are eating less. I haven't filled the gravity feeder in a while. They used eat like crazy. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
here is a link for you with diagnosis charts at bottom

I hope this helps.

Here is a pic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Back
Top Bottom