Worst duck parent ever!

Sadly she’s alone, she had a buddy but he passed away about a week ago. We couldn’t find out why he passed away we just woke up and he wasn’t with us anymore. She has already bonded well with me and my dogs but if she gets lonely we will get her another buddy.
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
I'd definitely reccomend finding her a ducky friend sometime soon. It's great that she has you, but unless you can be there every hour, she'll eventually become lonely. Ducks very much appreciate having a friend to quack, swim with and bug hunt with, things we can't really do with them!

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
I'd definitely reccomend finding her a ducky friend sometime soon. It's great that she has you, but unless you can be there every hour, she'll eventually become lonely. Ducks very much appreciate having a friend to quack, swim with and bug hunt with, things we can't really do with them!
As soon as I get home for the summer I will get her one, will they be ok with a different age gap? I also have a lone duck back home and chickens but I don’t know if she would bond with them.

As soon as I get home for the summer I will get her one, will they be ok with a different age gap? I also have a lone duck back home and chickens but I don’t know if she would bond with them.
It would be best to wait until she's bigger/adult before introducing her to your duck and chickens back home, is the duck a male or female?
If you're able to get a duckling friend, I'd look for a female duckling as close to her age as possible. I wouldnt reccomend an age gap bigger than a week

It would be best to wait until she's bigger/adult before introducing her to your duck and chickens back home, is the duck a male or female?
If you're able to get a duckling friend, I'd look for a female duckling as close to her age as possible. I wouldnt reccomend an age gap bigger than a week
My other is a female thankfully, my dads mad enough as it is I’m bringing another home haha
I live in a small town so we don’t have any duck places near me but I will get her a friend as soon as I can, I will keep her separated from the rest for a while though, would she do ok with chicks?

My other is a female thankfully, my dads mad enough as it is I’m bringing another home haha
I live in a small town so we don’t have any duck places near me but I will get her a friend as soon as I can, I will keep her separated from the rest for a while though, would she do ok with chicks?
I'm not sure about chicks, I imagine they'd need to be close in size and introduced slowly. But I'm not certain on this as I haven't raised chicks.
@Canadian Wind

Chickens can be mean with a newbie. Those beaks are hard and sharp, it's best to introduce your duckling slowly to your adult duck and the chickens. With always supervision. When I have young ducklings or chicks they get to spend time with the other birds but they start out inside a dog x pen so they can all see each other but no one gets picked on. Then I will sit down with them all and let the youngins run around and usually the adult birds keep their distance but I never leave them alone together.

Chickens can be mean with a newbie. Those beaks are hard and sharp, it's best to introduce your duckling slowly to your adult duck and the chickens. With always supervision. When I have young ducklings or chicks they get to spend time with the other birds but they start out inside a dog x pen so they can all see each other but no one gets picked on. Then I will sit down with them all and let the youngins run around and usually the adult birds keep their distance but I never leave them alone together.
Thank you so much, I’m sorry I’m so iffy on all this, I raised cattle my whole life and my mom has always had ducks and chickens and this is my first baby on my own and it’s all just so scarry haha

I'm not sure about chicks, I imagine they'd need to be close in size and introduced slowly. But I'm not certain on this as I haven't raised chicks.
@Canadian Wind
I currently have three ducklings (a Magpie and two Muscovy) in with some chicks, and they're doing fine apart from the mess the ducklings make! I'll be separating them soon because the ducks are now so much bigger! Still, they don't bother each other, and oftentimes the chicks will sleep on the ducklings, it's hilarious!

This is how we learn. I tell ya it's so nice to have BYC to come to for questions to be answered. When I started out with ducks back in 2004 I didn't even have a computer. I went to the library for info. Then in 2009 I got my first computer and found BYC, Gosh has this been blessing? We all have experience in many different things, i cannot imagine raising cattle I love them but it's intimidating. So see we all come here with different experiences and that is how we help each other.

You might even like checking this out
https://www.backyardherds.com/

This is how we learn. I tell ya it's so nice to have BYC to come to for questions to be answered. When I started out with ducks back in 2004 I didn't even have a computer. I went to the library for info. Then in 2009 I got my first computer and found BYC, Gosh has this been blessing? We all have experience in many different things, i cannot imagine raising cattle I love them but it's intimidating. So see we all come here with different experiences and that is how we help each other.

You might even like checking this out
https://www.backyardherds.com/
Thank you so much, I love my cows, besides the broken toes and feet they are my pride and joy. But I can’t say much for my little duckling pecking me in the nose and eyes hah

Back
Top Bottom